UTG: 74 BB
      MP: 207 BB
      Hero (CO): 155 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has 8:heart: 8:diamond:

fold, fold, Hero raises to 4 BB, BTN calls 4 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (9.5BB, 2 players) 9:diamond: 4:spade: J:diamond:

PF: Hero bets for value.

F: Hero already has a made hand, but is unsure whether or not a bet is +EV here.

It makes no sense for Hero to bet for value, as he can't think of any worse made hands that would call him.

Hero could bet as a bluff hoping to get 9x and TT to fold since Hero's c-bet could easily represent top pair or better. However since BU is unknown then it is not known whether or not they will fold these hands to a bet. If called, Hero does have some back-door draws but is unsure whether he would be confident enough to double barrel if a helpful card appeared on the turn.

The greatest reason for Hero to bet is to protect his hand against the many draws which the board offers: gutshots, OESDS and flush draws as well as possible over-cards and under-pairs.

Since the board offers so many draws and since Hero will most likely give up if his bet is called, then he would choose to bet big for roughly 7BB in a hope to take down the pot now.
  • 1 reply
    • mbml
      PF: Size seems too large. I want to raise a wide and relatively weak range here from the CO (at least 20-25% of starting hands) so i probably prefer a smaller size of 3BB.

F: Check/fold is the best play here. It's not good to cbet here cos the flop is coordinated and wet. We can't really get value from worse and can't get better hands to fold on the Flop.

Check/call may be an option if we expect our opponent to bluff the Flop once really often and then give up on future streets. But without reads I think c/f is best.