fold, BTN calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.40, fold, BTN calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.90, 2 players) 7:diamond: T:diamond: K:spade:
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($0.90, 2 players) 6:club:
      Hero bets $0.50, BTN calls $0.50

River: ($1.90, 2 players) J:diamond:
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.07, fold

BTN wins $1.78

Against an 80/3 player (40 hands) who is clearly pretty bad, should we value bet this flop? I feel like I completely butchered this hand really. I think there's many draws and maybe even weaker pairs (weaker tens, 88-99?) he can call with. And he's obviously very short.

And I think that's the problem. I simply don't really know how to deal with such ridiculously short stacks. I mean, what do I do if I get raised? Close my eyes and call it? Fold becauce his range has a ton of equity against me, whereas I am likely to be ahead of a decent amount of his range as well? But then again, if I just check, I give him the option of checking behind to see a free turn card, which I also don't want... So basically every option sucks imo...

So yeah, I didn't really know what to do, and I still don't...
  • 2 replies
    • mbml
      I don't mind value betting this Flop, when we have 2nd Pair Top kicker. Assuming he never has JJ and QQ in his range, AT is almost as good as K2. You can get value from QT T9 JT T8 and some 7X, and draws.

But I don't mind checking as well. I doubt we can get more than 2 streets of value so we probably need to check somewhere in the hand (either on Flop or Turn)

As played, bet Turn is fine. On river, I think folding is fine too. Any draw he had on the Flop or Turn got there. 89 now has a straight. QJ AJ has a pair. AQ has a straight. J8 has a pair.
    • kymupa

So preflop I think we can make it 3-3.5bb given the effective stack.

On the flop I am definitely betting here around $0.6 and if we get raised given the stack sizes we can't fold.

As played on the flop, betting turn is fine, but I'd make it $0.6.

On the river check/folding is fine. Pretty bad card for us.