Winning in tough holdem - Stox

• 1 reply
    • madorjan
      madorjan
      Bronze
      Hey,

IMO that book is a good starting point, but nothing else. If you want to learn "modern" poker, I'd rather watch all of Boomers' vids and do some calcs on my own. The problem with most books and videos is they spread some (or unfortunately sometimes many) bad and/or outdated information, that you have to filter out - but given you are there to learn, and not double-check the coach's every word, that can be a hard process. I can assure you (however little it means to you or anyone else:D ) that Boomer's vids are really good in that sense, definitely worth the couple of $s you have to pay for them (or grind in a suboptimal environment), but as far as "modern" and quality content goes, I can't wholeheartedly say you should study other vids or books. Phil Newall's The Intelligent Poker Player is a good one, but probably a bit more advanced than you need right now.

Also, don't underestimate the amount of work/energy required to put it all to practice. I saw you post a lot on the forums, and work with theory a lot - that's awesome, and you should keep it up, but every newly learned move you should try to implement in your play at the tables as soon as you can. I was the same theory-grinder, and at the beginning failed to put in hands - there was sooo much to learn and I didn't feel comfortable sitting down knowing I don't know millions of things that may make me a better player. With that, I'm struggling even today to put everything I know into practice, and all this is because I haven't applied everything I learnt after I worked on it in theory. I'm not sure how applicable this is in your case, I see you're working on theory a lot, but at the end of the day poker is about doing the right moves at the table, not just at the handjudging boards, right? So you and everybody should definitely find a good balance between the two.

So back to the original question, any kind of learning material can be good, until you figure out where it has faults or outdated information in it. If you think you're capable of that, it will be useful for you, because you can get some good stuff out of these books/videos.