First forays in a live cash game assistance please

• sydutch
      Hi there,

I was going to post this in the stratege forum, but I couldn't for the life of me, locate the new thread button.

I've been playing online for about a year and have generally broken even over that period. I've also played in live freezout and rebuy tournament at my local cardroom.

Recenty, I've dabbled in live cash games at my local. The blinds are £1/£1, min buy-in £10, max £50. I've found the players to be incredibly loose and so I just sit and wait for premium hands, trap and generally get paid off. Last week (the first time I'd sat down in a cash game of this format) I was close to tripling my £50 buy-in.

However, things didn't go quite as well for me this time around. Not sure if this was down to variance, generally poor luck or just playing with too many maniacs. I ended up reraising a chap with QQ who then put me all in preflop and turned over A7, he hit his ace. I read him as weak, as he had a wide starting hand range and gambled with large sums of money regularly. So I believe I played this well and got my chips in with the best hand preflop.

It wasn't this hand that bothered me, but later on, once I'd rebought. I had AK offsuit, the lad to my right bet 5x the big blind (£5). I then raised to £19, which about 2/3 pot with the couple of limpers. One of the limpers called and the guy who did the original raise also called. Flop came Kh, Js, 9h. The original raiser, who I read as having a couple of face cards put me all in, I insta-called. The the pre-flop limper raised an addition £80 and the guy who put me all in on my right folded.

I was fairly sure I was ahead on the flop as the big raiser loved his suited connectors and I figure he was on a flush draw. Sure enough he turned over 7/8h. Ace of hearts on the river and I've lost another £50. Turns out the chap on my right had K/Q, so I had him beat, but not the flush chaser.

I was just wondering if there was anything I could've done differently in this spot. I mean, I got my money in with the best hand in what was effectively a race. Was this a bad move considering the flush chaser had quite a few outs? Perhaps, I was steaming a bit having had my queens beaten earlier.

Sorry for the short essay, but if anybody can offer advice. I'd be grateful. Still unsure whether to buyin next weekend as I might start questioning if every move I make is the correct one.

• 4 replies
    • sydutch
      I've also tried to read the article on this site regarding playing against maniacs, but it's locked. I think there may be something wrong with my account.
    • hunt32
      you need to be gold to read that article, if I'm not mistaken
    • SoyCD
      Hello sydutch and welcome to PokerStrategy!

First of there is nothing wrong with your account :) Here at PokerStrategy we different access levels (basic, bronze, silver, gold, platin, diamond) which determine the level of content you have access to. Our Videos, Articles, Coachings and even Forums are connected to this Member Rewards system.

To create threads in other parts of the forum you need to have bronze level. This is the lowest level and automatically awared to anyone who has passed the quiz and received their starting capital. Since you haven't done these two things you are still basic and can only access our "beginner section". You can read more on the member rewards system here:

As for your question - against these loose maniacs there is nothing wrong with going all-in here. And as you played you got your money in with the best hand each time. In cash games this is exactly what you want to do - because in the long run they wont be hitting their flushes often enough to make such moves profitable.

I suggest reading the articles again, passing the quiz, getting your start-up menu and then watching some bronze videos and reading some bronze level articles. With the help of the this forum you should have no problem vastly improving your game :)

Best regards,
    • straddler71
      Hey sydutch. Hows it going?

No I don't think you did anything wrong there. The one possible hand that your opponent could have had that would have you in bad shape is q 10 which would have given him a king high straight. As I understand it the pot was already big and you had top pair with top kicker.

Its also important to know your opponents. Are they good players or bad players? If you considered that person a bad player than its right to call. If there are very good player, they already know have a hand, and they could have two pair, a set, or straight. But some good players will also push in with a draw to get you off the hand.

As long as you keep getting all of your money into the pot with the best hand, thats all you can do. In the short run a bad player will occaisonally get lucky against you. But in the long run you should be able to profit.