d3vin666

• d3vin666
      d3vin666
      Bronze
      Hi Guys,

I started to play poker on 2010, but I wasn't that serious during that time because so many things to do, mainly works. But now, I started to manage my time to play poker and works. Probably because mainly I'm an independent stock day trader and scuba diving instructor. So if you guys want to learn scuba diving, you know who to call :p

Now, to the homework.

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

I sometimes think that day trading and poker are quite similar. In term of psychology to money management. Some people called me, I'm a risk junkie. Maybe they're right, maybe they aren't. Somewhere along the line on one of trading books or internet forum discussed why people like trading. It said if I can remember, with trading either in stocks, future or forex, people can have the freedom of expressing themselves. Somewhat I found this is true for me at least. Same like poker, the "ball" is always on our court (just remembered my high school teacher used to say).

Funny things, I don't like gambling such as crap, roullete, jackpot, etc. Blackjack? hmm..still unsure about this, because I used to play and my friend taught me to count the cards, but didn't see the main skill on it. Maybe I was wrong. But Poker, just as said, similar to trading, to me is not gambling maybe about 10-20% luck factor exists. But the rest is a skills.

So to cut thing short, the motivation for playing poker. To me, I love games! especially with skills, strategy and real rewards. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, I like observing other people psychology. Like why they raise, fold or call. They must do it because they have their own reasons, and I think I can connect their reasons to their personality or life behaviour. Risk averse or risk taker? I hope this helps answer #1 homework.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

Getting married with the trash cards, even though I had AA or other premium cards but I missed the flop completely. Hoping that I could improve on the turn and river, and sometimes bluffing excessively. Could be because I assume too much about my opponent is bluffing or didn't pay attention to details or my hand reading is somewhat weak. Well..maybe with combination of those three.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

TAG to me, means I play selective cards and play aggressive in term of bet. Force the opponent to fold or at least making harder decisions. But sometimes like I answered on question 2, I played too aggressive so I wasn't sure how and when to fold. Emotion play?
  • 7 replies
    • d3vin666
      d3vin666
      Bronze
      I posted my hand for evaluation. These are the recent play after I read the SSS and BSS strategy. I think I went too far...

One

Two

Three

Four

Thank you
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello,

My name is Bogdan and I am the coach that will be taking over this section (from Veriz).

Before the end of the week I will be able to come in this thread and respond to you. Please stay tuned :)

Best regards.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by d3vin666
      Hi Guys,

I started to play poker on 2010, but I wasn't that serious during that time because so many things to do, mainly works. But now, I started to manage my time to play poker and works. Probably because mainly I'm an independent stock day trader and scuba diving instructor. So if you guys want to learn scuba diving, you know who to call :p

Now, to the homework.
      Hi D3vin and welcome to the course.

Looks like your day job is a lot of fun :) , especially the scuba diving part.

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

I sometimes think that day trading and poker are quite similar. In term of psychology to money management. Some people called me, I'm a risk junkie. Maybe they're right, maybe they aren't. Somewhere along the line on one of trading books or internet forum discussed why people like trading. It said if I can remember, with trading either in stocks, future or forex, people can have the freedom of expressing themselves. Somewhat I found this is true for me at least. Same like poker, the "ball" is always on our court (just remembered my high school teacher used to say).

Funny things, I don't like gambling such as crap, roullete, jackpot, etc. Blackjack? hmm..still unsure about this, because I used to play and my friend taught me to count the cards, but didn't see the main skill on it. Maybe I was wrong. But Poker, just as said, similar to trading, to me is not gambling maybe about 10-20% luck factor exists. But the rest is a skills.

So to cut thing short, the motivation for playing poker. To me, I love games! especially with skills, strategy and real rewards. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, I like observing other people psychology. Like why they raise, fold or call. They must do it because they have their own reasons, and I think I can connect their reasons to their personality or life behaviour. Risk averse or risk taker? I hope this helps answer #1 homework.
      Well said. And I agree that trading is very similar to poker.

And while I still consider Poker a form of gambling it's a gambling game where we can reduce the impact luck has on our own side (by getting better at the game and exploiting opponents based on the information we gain).

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

Getting married with the trash cards, even though I had AA or other premium cards but I missed the flop completely. Hoping that I could improve on the turn and river, and sometimes bluffing excessively. Could be because I assume too much about my opponent is bluffing or didn't pay attention to details or my hand reading is somewhat weak. Well..maybe with combination of those three.
      These are common mistakes that with a bit of work (and you already started doing this) can be improved. I recommend that you continue posting hands on our evaluation boards and start analyzing more of your own hands.

I'd also recommend attending the No-Limit Special [Beginner] coaching on Sundays (http://www.pokerstrategy.com/coaching/176692/)

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

TAG to me, means I play selective cards and play aggressive in term of bet. Force the opponent to fold or at least making harder decisions. But sometimes like I answered on question 2, I played too aggressive so I wasn't sure how and when to fold. Emotion play?
      It could definitely be emotion play however it could also be a lack of hand reading/board texture reading experience. Improving in these areas will open your eyes to spots where you can be aggressive and spots where you should slow down.

Remember that at the lower limits you want to valuebet a lot more than bluff.
    • d3vin666
      d3vin666
      Bronze
      Thank you Bogdan for your answer.

Will the coaching session be recorded? If so, could you please show me the link? I just reckon that your session will be at 18:00, that means 6:00 in the morning for me..which is practically impossible for me lol...
    • d3vin666
      d3vin666
      Bronze
      $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

SB: $1.20 (60 bb)
      BB: $0.94 (47 bb)
      UTG: $1.39 (69.5 bb)
      MP: $1.65 (82.5 bb)
      Hero (CO): $2 (100 bb)
      BTN: $3.80 (190 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7 7
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BTN calls $0.08, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.19) A J 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.19, BTN calls $0.19

Turn: ($0.57) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($0.57) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.57, BTN raises to $2.28, Hero ??

Should I maked continuation bet on the turn instead? I know that my card would be the second best, but this guy was pretty loose with low pfr. He coudl've had Ax or Kx, and I think he was chasing straight draw.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Thank you Bogdan for your answer.

Will the coaching session be recorded? If so, could you please show me the link? I just reckon that your session will be at 18:00, that means 6:00 in the morning for me..which is practically impossible for me lol...
      Unfortunately coaching sessions are not recorded.

What timezone are you in?

The coachings happen at 13:00 my time (EST) and 18:00 (GMT).
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

SB: $1.20 (60 bb)
      BB: $0.94 (47 bb)
      UTG: $1.39 (69.5 bb)
      MP: $1.65 (82.5 bb)
      Hero (CO): $2 (100 bb)
      BTN: $3.80 (190 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7 7
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BTN calls $0.08, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.19) A J 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.19, BTN calls $0.19

Turn: ($0.57) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($0.57) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.57, BTN raises to $2.28, Hero ??

Should I maked continuation bet on the turn instead? I know that my card would be the second best, but this guy was pretty loose with low pfr. He coudl've had Ax or Kx, and I think he was chasing straight draw.
      If villain is very loose then he usually hits this board a lot (all broadways, Ax hands) so he won't fold.

Because of that I don't mind ck/folding the flop.

IF we cbet as a bluff we don't need to pot it there, we can bet something like 0.10-0.12

On the river I'd also chk/fold because we can't assume villain to fold many better hands. Also, since we are bluffing the river I don't think we need to bet that much. 0.4 would be enough (although I'd just ck/fold).