misreading hands

• zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      does this happen to you often guys?

is happened to me twice in last 10K hands and its starting to concern me a little :D

like in this hand, i was sure i had JJ from beggining , i call flop, turn "gives me FH", he shoves so i snapcall, he shows straight and money goes his way... im like WTF... check my hand and its J8o :facepalm:

what the hell - its right there in front of my eyes, and i misread it

iPoker - $0.10 NL (6 max) FAST - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: $5.25
      BB: $14.50
      UTG: $2.95
      CO: $10.00
      Hero (BTN): $10.00

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has J:heart: 8:diamond:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.25, SB raises to $0.60, Hero calls $0.35

Flop: ($1.30, 2 players) T:diamond: T:club: K:heart:
      SB bets $0.85, Hero calls $0.85

Turn: ($3.00, 2 players) J:club:
      SB bets $3.80, Hero calls $3.80

River: ($10.60, 2 players) 3:club:

SB shows A:diamond: Q:spade: (Straight, Ace high)
      Hero mucks J:heart: 8:diamond: (Two Pair,Jacks and Tens)

SB wins $10.60
  • 20 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      I remember getting semi deep in a tourney YEARS ago. It was back when I started playing. I was living at home and my brother called me.

I took the call and was slightly distracted. I had a huge stack on the table and only one person covered me with the rest being small stacks.

Long story short - I ended up getting it in with a "straight" or so I thought. I ended up showing King high and that was that!

OBV I blamed my brother for distracting me cos it was his fault :D

:facepalm: :facepalm:

That was actually something I had forgotten about! So thank you zumpar for bringing this bad memory back to me!!!!!!!!!!

:(
    • spreeboy
      spreeboy
      Bronze
      yep. for me it usually happens with A4.

Common mistake is 3bet with this hand and then realize I misread my hand, cbet the flop hoping to just take it down, villain re-raise or float....... ?(

downside of multi-tabling...
    • TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Bronze
      Yeah, happened to me once. In a tournament (pretty deep) I thought I had KJ, but I had K7. So All the money went in in a KJ3 flop. He showed AK, and I rivered my 7 :f_biggrin:

But that's the only time it has happened to me actually, as far as I can remember.

Though, imo, if this happens pretty often, you should consider cutting down on the amount of tables, because you apparently are not able to focus optimally.
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle

That was actually something I had forgotten about! So thank you zumpar for bringing this bad memory back to me!!!!!!!!!!

sorry :D

now be a good sport and go yell at your brother :D im sure he has forgotten about that as well. Just go remind him :coolface:
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by spreeboy

downside of multi-tabling...
      Originally posted by TinoLaan

Though, imo, if this happens pretty often, you should consider cutting down on the amount of tables, because you apparently are not able to focus optimally.

yeah i was actually thinking about that :(
    • spreeboy
      spreeboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TinoLaan

True...

Currently, I'm 12-tabling (5NL) on a 1360x768 monitor, so only six tables are directly visible.

I will soon purchase a better and wider monitor by mid-December. :D
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      I used to do this often i would have "straights" with a gap in the middle or misread flushes even with the 4 colour deck activated :facepalm: The most common ones would be misreading the flop rather than my own hand though i would convince myself that i had top 2 or a set just to see the money go the other way, click the hand replay button and think "wtf where has my K gone it was there a minute ago"

Since bringing my tables down it doesn't happen nearly as often but every so often we all slip up right? Would be "fun" to see some sick amounts of money won/lost on a misread board
    • pucilpet
      pucilpet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zumpar
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle

sorry :D

now be a good sport and go yell at your brother :D im sure he has forgotten about that as well. Just go remind him :coolface:
      +1

Who doesn't love a guy who brings up these incidents from years ago?!? :s_biggrin:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      I will have words with him over xmas dinner!
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I find one of the downsides of multitabling tired and wearing old glasses is that I can perform some really fancy preflop and flop moves with the likes of A4 and 86 which are usually fairly terminal.

Regards,

Mal Magoo
    • MMPokerNab
      MMPokerNab
      Bronze
      haha, i'm always double check whether i have AA or A4 in my hand. :)

funniest misread happened a couple of days ago, when I flopped trips on a paired board and was planing to just call my opponent down, but the turn brought 3rd card of the same suit, and I was in "crying call" mode.
      river was a K to which i payed no attention to and just called my opponents river bet.

of course, i had Kx in hand, so the K gave me fullhouse.
      :D so bad..
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      This happens to me when tired or distracted.
      I combat it by saying the ranks and suits in my head.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      This is exactly why people use card mods that are nothing more than a huge, fat letter or number and the background being the suit.
    • Riverdiver
      Riverdiver
      Bronze
      When I get distracted while playing PLO it happens to me that I spazz out with nutflushes cause I don't notice the board has paired :(
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Once I went to 3bet shove versus one reg opening from early position with KT. No idea how, but thought I had TT... Busted AK nicely.

One of most funny hands were in live game. Got free flop QT9. Got chips mostly in with flop betting. Turn K and last chips went in. Villain turned AJ and I was like omg such bad beat for my J8. Expect that when I turned my hand it was J7... So remember to recheck your hand :)
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      I thought I had aces one time so I 3-bet all in against a raise and I got snapped called by a big hand.

Turns out I had ace-2s and the HUD was covering a little bit of the cards on the top so I couldn't see properly. I also blame the amount of tables I was playing too. But luckily it was a SNG tournament and it didn't hurt me that bad. :s_cool:
    • ShadDoneWin
      ShadDoneWin
      Bronze
      I did this in the hot 11 yesterday, snap called an all in semi deep with A4 :|
    • LedZayats
      LedZayats
      Bronze
      Not exactly about the cards, but I had a really annoying misread happen because of multitabling at nl5 cash. It went something like this: I had top two pair on the flop and thought I was playing the guy left to me, who had a small stack (around $3), while I had at the start $12.50. And I saw him as a fairly weak player, so I just decided to barrell 3 times for value and barely looked at the table. Maybe he was even in the hand, too, but folded on the flop, anyway - I bet the flop, get a call, bet the turn, get a call, look at the river: pot's like $3-4, he's been calling all the way, he has (as I thought) $3. So I decide to just put him all in and absentmindedly shove all my chips in. My real opponent, with almost $10, happily calls this unexpected present, having rivered a flush (pair+flush draw on flop). Ouch! :f_cry:
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Happened at a home game where I called three streets with confidence and flipped over my straight, which was in fact K-high. Still scooped the pot though! :f_cool: