Trips Confusion???

• 4KYOU
      4KYOU
      Bronze
      Hello everyone

I was wondering if someone could help me out with a very newbie question?

I was playing 9 handed sng today, I was dealt JJ.

The flop, turn and river came - J, 10, A, K, A

Opponent went all in, I was feeling lucky so called, Villain had A, 9 which gave him A trips.

My question is, how did I win? Surely he had the higher draw?
  • 5 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey welcome to PokerStrategy.com

Your final hand is made up from the best combination of 5 cards you can make out of the 7 available to you in your hand and on the board.

So your final hand looked like this: JJJAA Giving you a full house
      Your opponents final hand was this: AAAKJ Giving him just 3 of a kind As with a K as his kicker

If your opponent had AK or AJ or AT or KK then he would have had a better full house than you and taken the pot down

Does this make sense? If not just ask some more and i can explain some more :)

All the best
      Carl
    • 4KYOU
      4KYOU
      Bronze
      Hi Carl

Thank you for your fast response!! Its a great site here.

That makes complete sense and can't believe I missed that!!!

Thanks again for clearing that up for me.

M.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      No problem, any time :)

I guess you are pretty new to poker then is this site your first experience?

Once you get yourself familiar with the basics you should look into getting Holdem Manager 2. You can get it on a free trial so theres no commitment to pay. But its a great tool that allows you to mark hands for review as you play and you can take a look at them after your session and see what you did well and what you need to improve etc. It also offers you a world of information on your opponents to help you crush the games. Like i say don't worry about it too much just yet concentrate on getting the basics right but when you're ready take a look here: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/12/

Hope i didnt sound too much like a salesman lol

Keep asking us questions as you come across them you won't learn if you don't ask :)

Carl
    • 4KYOU
      4KYOU
      Bronze
      Yeah, I am pretty new, been playing about 3 months mainly on low stake 9 handed sngs and the occasional tourney. I've had a few nice successes so far, managed to qualify through a sattelite to the Micromillions main event and then finished in the low end of the money so was pretty happy about that. I've mainly been doing alot of reading of different books etc, I am giving myself a year to get good!!

It's funny you should mention HM2 as I currently have 18 days of a free trial left but I have to confess, I haven't got a clue what to do with it or how to set it up. My only experience with poker software was with Poker Officer which was nice and simple. I used it for a while on PKR before I decided that it wasn't the place for me. Are there any guides here to setting HM2 up? If I can get to grips with it then I will no doubt purchase it when my trial runs out.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey again sorry it took me so long to reply. If you have some time spare go to this link: http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ here you will find the official HEM2 articles to help you get up and running and understand it a little more. If you get stuck with any terms they use or anything please ask us here and we will be more than happy to help out :)