What is wrong with my mindset?

• mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      I swapped for MTT SNGs recently as they offer more variance. I ran deep for 3rd place effectively and got almost all my previous losses from ZOOM back.

Now.. I am almost certain one more cash like that and I am back on ZOOM spewing.

What can I do to stick to the original plan, beat myself up & do what I am comfy to do? :s_cool:
  • 39 replies
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      i recommend coming to party poker and start spewing there :s_cool:

But on a real note, learn how to beat the lowest cash games, watch some videos (there is one on NL10 zoom, i can't remember who but i watched it and it was pretty good)
    • thebadseedpkr
      thebadseedpkr
      Bronze
      One of the worst habits I think we have as players is doing the exact opposite of what we know is right. Like the "crying call" we know we're beat, but we insist on paying off regardless. It's a hard thing to break but to be successful we have to overcome it.

I say this because you say that you KNOW you're going to go back on ZOOM and lose it all. A self fulfilling prophecy for sure. Thing is, if you're finding success in one area....why not stick with it?

Personally, I know what games I am not great at. ZOOM is absolutely one of them. I avoid it for now because there's literally thousands of other games available where I can make some money. When I started seeing my NLHE game stall out, I started reading books....something I NEVER would have done a year ago. It not only helped me understand some things better, but it made my live game profitable.

The other thing I did was I started learning other games. Stud, Razz, 7-2 Triple Draw...and I went and played them at micro stakes and started winning a little here and there. It was a great break mentally from the NLHE funk I was in and it allowed me to get better as an all around player.

There's NOTHING wrong with staying in your comfort zone if it's paying off. You just need to work on your self control and develop the ability to tell yourself "this is NOT a good idea" when you are about to do something and then NOT do it! Sounds simple.....but if it were...there would be no degens, no compulsives...no fish....

Just a quick 2cents from a forum noob!
      Good luck
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      I don't understand your question?
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hey thebadseedpkr...

Good to see I'm not the only one who takes NLHE breaks by playing other variants.

Well, except for PLO anyway.

I'm partial to 5-Card Draw myself, and when I just don't have the energy for NLHE it does fine as a replacement.

Mind you, I'm not trying to pay bills with poker earnings.

With zoom, I have good days when it seems like all players fall before me, and other days, when they all seem to fall on top of me.

So my wife said, "Why not just play on the good days?"
      <sigh>
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Don't ignore the boredom factor. Swapping games once in a while is not a bad idea at all. I'd say you become a better player at the standard game too by learning/becoming good at other games. (Unquestionably, you become an overall better player.) I personally find NL Hold'em very soothing and relaxing compared to FL Hold'em. A final table in a tourney once in a while puts everything in a brighter light too.

/Johan = :f_confused:
    • cufc37
      cufc37
      Bronze
      Zoom is hardly unbeatable. If you enjoy playing that more than other things, then put your mind to it and learn how to beat it! If you beat other variants, there's no reason you can't be Zoom!
    • thebadseedpkr
      thebadseedpkr
      Bronze
      I enjoy learning new stuff and learning the different games presented a new challenge that I found to be a lot of fun. I even ran deep in a lowball 2-7 limit tourney in Micromillions and that was my first time ever playing the game.

But you made another key point in terms of playing comfortaby and w/common sense when you said: "not trying to pay the bills"

I think one of the other things that players have a hard time accepting is the reality of where they fit in the poker world. I look at poker much like any other competitive endeavour involving money. An incredibly small percentage are ever going to be good enough to play in the NBA, NFL, NHL etc. and the same applies to poker. While we may like to think of ourselves as "grinders" and that we're better than all the other "fish" out there, the truth is most of us are not. We are not or are we ever going to be "Elite" level players.

When we accept that, then we can become better players at our end of the pay scale. We start to love the game instead of the idea of it. We're the guys you see laughing and enjoying ourselves at live tables with neat stacks of chips. We're not all hoodied up and hunched over worried about how the hell we're gonna get home because we blew the gas money.

I love the game and while I might make a couple bucks now and then, it's not my main concern. When it becomes uncomfortable, when you are questioning your decision making like the OP, you need to step back and analyze the situation and decide on the right course of action. In his case, he knows what it is.....whether he will do it or not....that's up to him.
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      In pokerstars lobby go to requests, responsible gaming and block yourself from cash games and whatever else you lose in...then play sngs and make moniez! :D
    • Saren113
      Saren113
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DecMate

But on a real note, learn how to beat the lowest cash games, watch some videos (there is one on NL10 zoom, i can't remember who but i watched it and it was pretty good)
      I guess you mean pleno1 video.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by dogma18
      In pokerstars lobby go to requests, responsible gaming and block yourself from cash games and whatever else you lose in...then play sngs and make moniez! :D
      Not sure if you're serious.
      Cash games ftw.

SnGs so frustrating.

but to each his own.

Good luck in whatever you play
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      plenty of great advices! Thanks!

If I would be doing this for profit I would perhaps look for HORSE as I've got perhaps best run in it. Its not that I am really good at all variants but I swap well and catch momentum in between and plenty of players won't catch that moment when we're already playing stud hand and they're chasing their low for razz. :D Its format also support clear aggressiveness that most suits me..

TBH I enjoy NLHE the most though. And I want to stick to it so I filtered every other variants on stars away. I like to get it over with quickly though. Because I don't have that much time. Therefore ZOOM, RUSH & FAST POKER had the green light on :f_love:

I hate 9 mans even though I can grind some well but skillset for those is easy and they're becoming tougher and tougher by default. To really be up long term in those requires not only skills at the table but tableselect etc and I am not going to bother with those. And apart from beating players u have to beat the rake etc..

That's why I think sticking to MTT SNGs is the most profitable course of action for me as the rake doesn't affect my BR that much, they're easier to fill in on stars & they end up quickly as well. Esp. low buy-in turbos. I play hypers atm and am showing nice profit already.

But I almost surely know that rather than waiting for tourney to fill up once my roll is back to where I am comfortable spewing on ZOOM, I am most likely going to hit that sign me in button.

I will try to resist the temptation as those MTT SNGs and/or MTTs will perhaps be better idea for me to build the roll..
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      [quote][i]
      SnGs so frustrating.

[/quote]+1

I hate 9, 10 mans even though I made plenty of smaller BRs with em :D
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thebadseedpkr
      One of the worst habits I think we have as players is doing the exact opposite of what we know is right. Like the "crying call" we know we're beat, but we insist on paying off regardless. It's a hard thing to break but to be successful we have to overcome it.

I say this because you say that you KNOW you're going to go back on ZOOM and lose it all. A self fulfilling prophecy for sure. Thing is, if you're finding success in one area....why not stick with it?

Personally, I know what games I am not great at. ZOOM is absolutely one of them. I avoid it for now because there's literally thousands of other games available where I can make some money. When I started seeing my NLHE game stall out, I started reading books....something I NEVER would have done a year ago. It not only helped me understand some things better, but it made my live game profitable.

The other thing I did was I started learning other games. Stud, Razz, 7-2 Triple Draw...and I went and played them at micro stakes and started winning a little here and there. It was a great break mentally from the NLHE funk I was in and it allowed me to get better as an all around player.

There's NOTHING wrong with staying in your comfort zone if it's paying off. You just need to work on your self control and develop the ability to tell yourself "this is NOT a good idea" when you are about to do something and then NOT do it! Sounds simple.....but if it were...there would be no degens, no compulsives...no fish....

Just a quick 2cents from a forum noob!
      Good luck
      +1

Crying call is one of my leaks. Most of the time I know already what they do and what they have. "There is though this little voice saying: Stars? River? Again? Is that really possible?" And then I go ahead..

I'm rarely losing whole BR unless I'm in the state of mind: "done with it". And since I travelled sites around a bit to see whether its same everywhere.. Not likely going to happen again. I must be fish. That's confirmed! :f_grin:

self control with me is lacking. And I was known as the most patient from chessplayers.. With age am losing more and more patience :f_cry: To fix this leak I've decided to study chess once again and approach poker in more relaxed manner so the logic will come back to daddy :f_biggrin:

and hey. Finally I think your advices are worth more than 2 quick cents. I really like food for thought u r offering here. U got my respect mate :f_thumbsup:
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DecMate

I was spewing there a bit. Brought some bacon and winquitted when deck started cooling off. I don't like to go with my head against the wall and cash games even though offering less variance is definitely more swingy for me :s_frown:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by mattisks
      Crying call is one of my leaks. Most of the time I know already what they do and what they have. "There is though this little voice saying: Stars? River? Again? Is that really possible?" And then I go ahead..

self control with me is lacking. And I was known as the most patient from chessplayers.. With age am losing more and more patience :f_cry: To fix this leak I've decided to study chess once again and approach poker in more relaxed manner so the logic will come back to daddy :f_biggrin:

and hey. Finally I think your advices are worth more than 2 quick cents. I really like food for thought u r offering here. U got my respect mate :f_thumbsup:
      I have a routine that I use to evaluate a post-flop situation.

Think SHORT
      S:  Size/Stack/Stats -- Check your stack size vs the pot. Think of an appropriate bet size. Check opponents stats for clues as to his behaviour
      H:  Hand/History -- look over your hand and evaluate it in light of the board, previous bet history. Review any notes you have on villain, think back to his previous behaviour
      O:  Odds/Outs -- Include Implied odds in this. If your hand is weak now, does it have a reasonable chance of hitting. Will you get paid off if it does?
      R:  Range -- What does villain likely hold. What does HE THINK you likely hold?
      T:  Texture -- wet/dry; possible draws; who does it most likely hit?

If your review only those things before your crying call, you might make few of 'em.

Do you use HM2?
      If so, add "River call efficiency" to your session report, to see just how many of those crying calls you actually make good on.

I thought that I was getting pummelled on the river, but I was actually doing OK
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      :)

I have found GEM in between other sites on offer across whole online... They're small but fast. And there is not as much action yet it is so addictive.

After browsing 2p2 I got an idea how to play "ranges" and also found useful software that helps me to set scenarios and figure out ranges.

I am only half way through but shipped 2/293 already :)

Last hand won't be my most favourite when KQ didn't hold to spewmasters 75o but it defo worked with him. Similar spewy hand got me to HU so I don't complain as much at this point.

What I am focusing on is mostly unexploitable game at the moment.

Yes. I've cried sometimes with AJs vs 99 but always was some sort of 60-40 or at worst flip. Also went down to KK vs AJs vs some short stack. That "flip" would have ship another tourney :f_frown:

Yeah so just to wrap it up. If you play smaller site with least action yet you can still get enough time to work on what matters: your game.

Thanks to all advices in here. Now I know that spot is most likely to be shove and plus EV despite not cashing on some occassions :s_o:
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      Wooo hooo! I have also won some cash on ring. Not that I will focus on ring games but it gave me additional entry to their juicy freeroll :f_biggrin:

Its so easy to untilt and forget stars, fulltilt, party, titan, ongame.. All c'rappy sites out there. I just wonder how it will be around depositing. They have some weird rules as I read their conditions and I was trying to deposit two days ago and wasn't successful as it took too long so I've cancelled it.

Any idea why online verifying process with option to deposit on card might take too long at first? ?(
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      Woot woot! Another cashhhhhhh!! :) 18/170

Luckboxed 88 vs QQ in the middle of tourney and was 2nd overall and then around 10th spot. I ran card dead around bubble and finally with last 5 BBs my last resteal was 88 vs AQ. The same hand that made me money didn't manage to hold against appearing aces and queens.

Shame on u 8s! :s_love:

As many of you know its nearly Christmas time and all snowmen like hand should hold like a rock!

Happy Christmas poker to you guyzz! :)
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Happy Christmas to you as well :)

Keep those cashes rolling in