[NL20-NL50] NL25sh - flopped nFD facing aggression on paired board

• member001
      member001
      Bronze
      Hi chaps,

Recently moved up to this limit so if I'm doing anything completely retarded please go easy on me! :f_p:

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

BTN: $11.83 (47.3 bb)
      SB: $26.86 (107.4 bb)
      Hero (BB): $64.19 (256.8 bb)
      UTG: $25.57 (102.3 bb)
      MP: $51.37 (205.5 bb)
      CO: $12.15 (48.6 bb)

SB is 25/23/10%3b (245h) in my db, but I had fewer hands on him when this was played

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9 A
      4 folds, SB raises to $0.75, Hero calls $0.50

Flop: ($1.50) 8 7 7 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.90, SB raises to $3.25, Hero calls $2.35

Turn: ($8) 3 (2 players)
      SB bets $5.50, Hero folds

In hindsight I think I was too timid against this aggressive opponent. He can't have much on this board, and was probably just rebluffing me. (In fact I probably invited a raise with my too weak bet sizing.) Can we even shove over his flop raise? He should fold most of his range to a shove and I'm 40%+ even if he does have an overpair. But then again it feels spazzy to shove for 3x pot.
  • 1 reply
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      'ello ol' chap,

How goes it?

//end British humour

He looks like a reg: full stack, VPIP/PFR match reg stats, he 3bets, you have many hands on him as well. Knowing this makes me think he is aware that he has to bluff sometimes against another supposed reg.

What I would want to know is his SB steal because then you can start figuring out his range. The problem we face is that a tight SB range won't have 7x too often, while the looser he is, the more 7x hands can play like this.

Against your standard opponent I think 3bet/calling flop is a good option. You don't have to jam, you can just make it $9 and call it off if he jams. Yes, it sometimes sucks to run into 7x, but that's what you need to know: how many 7x could he actually have here.

As an alternative line I like call/call/jam river when he checks. For this you need to know more tendencies and it's a riskier proposition for someone not used to the limit.

Bet/folding NFD sucks but without a decent idea of how to proceed, you might as well do it. You need to continue profitable, to make +EV decisions.. if you are unsure that your turn and river decisions are +EV, take the bet vs missed cbet (clearly +EV) and fold to the raise for now. Although your bet was +EV, calling it and proceeding might make your profits disappear if you misplay.