Turn: ($3.50) K (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2.30, SB raises to $8.50, Hero calls $6.20

River: ($20.50) 2 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Results:
      $20.50 pot ($0.92 rake)
      Final Board: T A 6 K 2
      SB showed A 8 and lost (-$10.25 net)
      Hero showed K T and won $19.58 ($9.33 net)

Same villain that XR'd me in the previous hand posted, which was why this time I thought he could be FOS. I think his line doesn't make a lot of sense, because I represent a showdown value hand so if he has a monster he would just barrel the turn himself - why checkraise?
      Correct to just call his turn raise? I think 3betting would mostly just isolate myself against better (plus we are deep) although I regretted this slightly when the FD completed on river.
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      This hand is quite different from the other. Different flop texture, different line, different ranges. Different all the way!

He doesn't have to barrel all his value hands. If you value bet thinly IP, he can c/r and if you bluff often he can check/call or check/raise depending on his hand. For me his raise sizing looks like value often and your hand becomes clearly a bluffcatcher. He is not doing this with AJ imo. He is doing it with 2pair+ or with air. Now you have to evaluate his air range and its equity vs you plus likely actions. Given position I think I would call like you and look to check back rivers if possible or call blanks depending on timing and bet sizing. I would also consider turn raise timing, flop bet timing. It's not a super obvious tell but when someone is sure what to do, they take less time and most people are sure what to do with value hands. Unless they are considering your range and how to maximize profits against it, they just snap bet all value hands with their standard/random sizing.

LE: Now I looked at spoiler. Surprised by his hand but now let's learn from that:

He c/r for value (although he probably just wanted to win the hand). This means he is not a good reg or is 3 levels ahead of you in which case he still is not doing it right! Now against him I would definitely not fold the NFD in A9s hand and probably not bet any hand on the turn for thin value, unless I'm sure it's also good enough to call a raise. For example, I would probably not bet KQ on this turn against him now because he's already shown a tendency to check/raise OOP both flop and turn.
    • member001
      member001
      Bronze
      These evaluations are great, really help me to understand it myself rather than just "do this, don't that".

Thanks a lot for taking the time.

Also, lol @ "he's not a good reg or is 3 levels ahead of you"!
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by member001
      Also, lol @ "he's not a good reg or is 3 levels ahead of you"!
      Well, if he does it because he has Ax he is bad. To be ahead of you and really good he has to think like this:

'My range when I check here looks like giving up or some draw, rarely monster. If I look aggro enough and my opponent bets for thin value I can actually check/raise a hand like AQ and AJ for value because he'll bet call Kx and even as low as Tx sometimes and possibly some medium strength draws to bluff with on the river so all of a sudden my AQ and AJ gets awesome value.'

Which one do you think it is? :)