Hero checks, MP bets $2, Hero calls $2

Turn: ($7.35) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP checks

River: ($7.35) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.50, MP calls $3.50

Results:
      $14.35 pot ($0.65 rake)
      Final Board: 8 3 3 K 8
      Hero showed A K and won $13.70 ($6.70 net)
      MP mucked A J and lost (-$7 net)

Preflop: although I feel like a fish for calling a 3b oop, I think (i) I can't fold AKs to a minraise and (ii) if I 4b I am turning my hand into a bluff given our strong ranges UTG & MP. So I call even though it feels dirty to do so.

Flop: should I raise? The reason for check/call was that I don't think any better hands (e.g. JJ+) will fold to a raise on this board, and all his Ax hands I am ahead of anyway, so I didn't see any point in raising.

Turn: I check to let him barrel this scare card.

River: I know I'm ahead and try to get value. Sizing ok?
  • 1 reply
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Calling 3bets OOP is doable but that's a whole other complicated story. The short version is: have a good hand and make sure you either a) have KK+ in your range as well or b) your opponent bluffs such weak hands that him having KK+ and you not having is not a big deal. In other words, make sure your range is not weaker and, if possible, be way better than him. :D

In this case I think calling AKs should be OK. Marginal, but I would also do it because of sizing and possible implied odds, even OOP. He is bound to rep Kx and Ax with his bluffs although we have them so he will put in money repping our hand.

With this sizing I also think he could be bluffing quite often so I think calling is then easier since you should be ahead of his range by quite a bit.

Flop play: I prefer calling with your draw... your overs are good and he will try to represent them with air very often, your showdown value is good and you have NFD as well.

Turn: I agree with your idea, I would basically not fold any river, just maaaybe Q depending on bet sizes and my in-game feeling of whether he bets QQ on turn of checks back. If he checks back QQ on turn, you face a turn bet and river is Q, it's a blank or only KQ beats you now if he bets preflop.

River: He bets bluffs on turn often. I think he has TT-QQ so I bomb it. If he is not stationy, I think betting small. Basically, in this spot standard sizing seems the worse because you either have some busted FD you want FE with or a value hand that beats TT so either you give TT+ good odds or you try to look bluffy with a bigger bet. It depends on what looks weaker for your opponent and you should do what acheives the desired results.