[NL2-NL10] Total sick hand

• Darkyd10
      Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BB): $11.17 (111.7 bb)
      MP: $10.07 (100.7 bb)
      CO: $4 (40 bb)
      BTN: $22.35 (223.5 bb)
      SB: $11.61 (116.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J 9
      2 folds, BTN raises to $0.30, SB folds, Hero raises to $1, BTN calls $0.70

Flop: ($2.05) 7 T 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.30, BTN calls $1.30

Turn: ($4.65) 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $2.50, Hero calls $2.50

River: ($9.65) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $6.40, Hero calls $6.37 and is all-in

$22.39 pot ($1.01 rake)
      Final Board: 7 T 7 9 J
      Hero showed J 9 and won $21.38 ($10.21 net)
      BTN showed K 9 and lost (-$11.17 net)
  • 6 replies
    • Darkyd10
      So the guy is a 22/22/10.5

steals 29% ofc BU i dont give credit

I didnt rl had any solid stats on him at time. Although he seemed quite agressive and didnt fold to cbets earlier so i think...

He should be floating alot!

This board is perfect for that. My adjustment is to go over the top on him. So im betting flop CR push turn. He wont call because A - he cant call without a hand, B - he rl wont have a hand since hes floating, C - i easily represent full house with my line or QQ-AA

Now i hit turn so i decide to bluff catch instead, and so i do on river

He bets very fast so i give him no credit at all and call him down
    • kymupa

Interesting hand.

Preflop I don't mind 3betting if he is folding enough and I'd make it $1.1.

On the flop cbetting is ok. We have gutshot, also we have one overcard and backdoor FD so we have some turn cards to barrel.

I really don't like check/calling the turn.
      The problem is that we give up the initiative and have to play on the river too where we don't really know what to do.
      If you think he has a lot of floats I'd rather just bet myself like $2.

As played on the turn, calling river is close since we are mostly bluffcatching and I'd prefer folding against unknown.

• Darkyd10
      but if i bet turn im not taking value from floats. Hes simply calling stronger hands, i get fe yes but...if i call i put same amount of money and i dont put the money behind most of the time

Ofc he can draw on me like 6 outs? at most

I called on river based on feel on timing tell, and because i could bluff catch

If i bet turn i dont bluff catch i simply lose if i get called

What is his value range on river? Almost nothing. 99 TT JJ nothing else, AT sometimes

My check call looks odd enough for him to think and not to just barrel blindless except if he had TT but i made it so that he could bluff aswell
    • kymupa

The biggest problem with check/calling turn is that we put ourselves in a tough spot where we don't actually now what to do on the river, right?
      Let's say that the river comes a 2 :club: - are you calling? Or a Q :heart: ?

So in order to prevent these though spots I prefer betting here and still showing a profit by making him fold his floats, also could get some value out of hand like 98s.

If you are sure about your timing tells I don't really mind calling the river, but again you see that even on the J we are not 100% sure that a call is ok (at least I'm not).

Do you have anything to add?
    • Darkyd10
      im expecting him to give up most times on bluffs by the river. Since people who float dont go for 2 streets

In a normal cenario im thinking check call is ok because hes not going AI on river as bluff. So unless i get some kind of reads im folding river. This was a special case

Thing is hes only floating once most of time. Think i get more value check calling once since i had value there then 2nd barreling

I was thinking of double barreling however had i not hit
    • mbml
      Hi Dark,

I like your play if you have a decent idea on how he plays. on T77, I think he could potentially float a ton of Ace highs and maybe even KQs or KJs with some backdoors.

I agree that betting turn doesn't get you value from floats so c/c is better in my opinion. It's true that rivers are going to be tough though, but hey you have to play guessing games all the time in poker.

I think most importantly, how often does he fold to flop cbets in 3b pots? The other relevant stats to deduce his preflop range are his opening range in this position, as well as his call vs 3bet %.

So we would be able to narrow down his PF range, as well as his flop calling range. The wider his flop calling range is here, the more easily we can c/c Turn very comfortably. And if he bets river just try to guess whether he's the type to fire once or twice and decide accordingly.