Minraise

• Jim9137
      Jim9137
      Bronze
      So, I've been playing some turbo STTs as of late. They have been doing well, but the biggest thing that's worrying/interesting me is the minraise.

Naturally it's very wrong at early and middle levels, and I always call them from the BB without much of thought (hey, I have such good pot odds, even 72o can hit a fh :P ) But then it comes to the push-fold stage, and I'm whittled down to medium stack. This is a situation that happened to me, earlier today:

6 players left. Hero is on the button with 8bb stack, holding A T. There is a fold, and a 12bb stack minraises. It is folded to me. I chose to shove, because I felt my hand was strong.

He calls after a moment, turning over A K. Needless to say, I bust out.

Then, on another tourney (again RL example), I'm in the BU with KJ and a guy minraises from UTG. I fold the hand, and it turns out he had KTo. SBs minraise with anything from A2o to aces, and it's very donk specific.

So I just don't know what to do when I get minraised. Should I treat it as a bona fide raise, but what when I'm in the BB? Is it correct to call with QTs when you have about 10bb left, hoping to hit something and then shove?

I'm lost, and clueless, and unfortunately, most orbits go with someone minraising (especially big stacks just love to do this with all kinds of garbage hands, usually picking up the blinds cheaply), so I lose a lot of chips from spots *I*could have stolen from. Advice plz?
  • 4 replies
    • JD888
      JD888
      Bronze
      well first of all I'd suggest you to don't defend hands like 72o even if it's for just one more bet in the early stages, blind defending in the early stages is absolutely unnecessary because the early blinds are only 1.5% or 2% of your stack and defending especially with crap hands is not good. plus you don't hit that often and even if you hit you can't give yourself much implied odds because of the weakness the minraise shows or you're dominated by an overpair if someone wants to trap you. In general I'd say that minraises aren't very strong and most of the time somebody is trying to make an easy blind stealing attempt.
      If you have seen a guy making standard 2.5x to 3xBB raises and he minraises all of a sudden he is most likely trapping. some guys (especially on the low limits) haven't even heard of raising to 3BB they just think "I wanna raise" and so they hit the button..

when it comes to the push/fold mode and someone that you have seen minraising before minraises another time you should treat him like a limper and push your strong hands anyway (given the right effective stack sizes to do that ofc). sometimes you will walk into a trap but in most cases the minraiser will fold, that's my personal experience. be aware of the raising patterns of your opponents and base your decision on it that's probably the best advice though.
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jim9137
      6 players left. Hero is on the button with 8bb stack, holding A T. There is a fold, and a 12bb stack minraises. It is folded to me. I chose to shove, because I felt my hand was strong.

Position of the minraiser is very important here, posting some hands would be the best thing to do.
    • Firehoper
      Firehoper
      Bronze
      Agreed about position.

In my expereince at 'my' limits, after miniraise from an early position, I usually expekt hands like AQ, AJ, KQ, sometimes KJ.

Later the position, weaker the hand i guess (after miniraise) Like Q10s, J10 K10 and something. It depends on the player, there are no rules about miniraising (as there are no in poker at all) its diffrent at every limit.

Hope you understand my poor English :)
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Like you said it's very donk specific, some donks miniraise with weak hands others raise with good hands. But if you see a donk miniraising a lot you can conclude its his normal raise and you can treat it like a normal raise.