SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has Q:diamond: 3:spade:

fold, fold, fold, fold, SB calls 0.5 BB, Hero checks

Flop: (2BB, 2 players) 3:club: Q:club: 2:heart:
      SB checks, Hero bets 1.5 BB, SB raises to 7 BB, Hero calls 5.5 BB

Turn: (16BB, 2 players) A:spade:
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: (16BB, 2 players) Q:spade:
      SB checks, Hero bets 5 BB, SB raises to 67 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 62 BB

PF: I'm currently focusing on playing extremely tight so I'm not attacking any SB completes until I'm confident enough with my post-flop play.

F: I bet to maximise value, hoping to gain three streets of value from weaker Qx hands and also to protect my hand from the number of gutshot and flush draws that this board offers. However, I'm faced with a 2-bet which catches me off-guard, I was unsure what to make of this at the time so I chose to call to prevent myself from making a bigger mistake. I was also unsure that betting again would cause Qx hands to fold, from which I could gain more value on later streets.

Now that I am able to analyse this situation in more detail, I think that a 3-bet should have been the clear option here, for the same reasons as to why I chose to bet in the first place. It is unlikely that SB has 22, 33, or QQ and his bet is most likely to be Qx. Also, I don't think I should worry about getting Qx hands to fold as I can already win a reasonably sized pot if they fold but more importantly, I should be worried about protecting my hand.

As played:
      T: I put my opponent on a range of Qx, so thought a bet here would serve no purpose.

R: I think Qx would have bet here so I bet small to try and get max value from the whole of my opponent's range. He raises so I assume he has Qx, it's unlikely he has AQ as he'd probably raise that pre-flop so I call.
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      Hi Raknyo,

Preflop: Not attacking the SB limp with Q3o is not a problem. While we have a lot of FE preflop and flop it's also fine to be a bit more passive with the weaker holdings.

Flop: How does calling prevent you from making a bigger mistake?

On this flop, versus a limper that raises me I'd be willing to play for the entire stack (which is only 75 BB anyway).

He can raise worse hands like Qx, draws and even worse 2p (Q2, 23).

So I'd be happy to 3-bet for pure value/protection to something like 24+ BB (that would give us a 50 BB pot with a 49BB stack behind so we can easily shove the turn, if he calls flop).

As played that A is a good card to bet on (once he checks). We get value from nut flush draw, all other draws and even Qx still calls. A bet would definitely have a purpose of value.

River: We need to maximize value against Ax and potentially other pairs so I'd bet bigger. Qx would almost always go broke anyway. The small bet may induce but we know nothing about him.

I might even be tempted to overbet shove and this fish can call all worse Qx, and sometimes Ax.