[NL2-NL10] AKo – Top Pair Top Kicker in 3-Bet Pot OOP, Bluff Induce or Straightforward Play?

• Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      PokerStars - $0.02 NL (6 max) ZOOM - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 136.5 BB
      SB: 109 BB
      BB: 100 BB
      UTG: 43.5 BB
      Hero (MP): 111 BB
      CO: 114.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has A:diamond: K:heart:

fold, Hero raises to 4 BB, CO raises to 11 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 27 BB, CO calls 16 BB

Flop: (55.5BB, 2 players) K:club: 2:spade: 9:diamond:
      Hero?

Turn: (55.5BB, 2 players) A:club:
      Hero?

PF: Hero bets for value but is then faced by a 3-bet from CO. Hero would usually lay AK down in this position (since he plays Zoom) but Hero has a note on CO that he 3-bet AJo so Hero is happy to 4-bet/jam against this player.

F: CO only calls and Hero hits top pair, top kicker. He could easily bet for value here, betting around 1/3 pot in the hope to get value from TT-QQ.

With each player holding only around 1.5 pot size bets left, Hero realises he could slowplay his hand to get maximum value from the whole of CO range since the board isn't offering any noticeably draws for CO's range. He could choose to check here or bet very small, say 10BB to induce CO to over-play or bluff with his hand.

Say both players choose to check flop:

T: Since both players checked, I think it's time for Hero to start betting for value. He could check again but would only be able to win a small bet on the river, compared to two small bets if he bets 1/3 pot now and 1/3 pot on river.
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Raknyo,

Preflop: While your note says that he 3-bets AJo does it say that he 3-bet fold or 3-bet jams? If he 3-bet jams then it's a clear 4-bet. Even if he doesn't we can still 4-bet to capitalize on the dead money but when he shoves we are not in such great shape (but since we put in 27 BB of 111 BB we can call - we need about 38% equity to call a shove and versus QQ+, AK we have 39%)

Flop: Once he calls the 4-bet he usually has a hand like AK, QQ, maybe AQ and KK/AA.

I would check here to let him continue his initiative and I wouldn't fold. Donking doesn't make much sense without reads. If he checks back we know we have the best hand a lot so it's easier to play.

On that turn, if both checked, I'd bet 15 BB or so to induce light call/bluff.