Hero (BTN): 103.5 BB
      SB: 552 BB
      BB: 16 BB
      UTG: 87.5 BB
      MP: 117.5 BB
      CO: 155.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has 8:diamond: 8:club:

fold, fold, CO raises to 2 BB, Hero raises to 7 BB, SB calls 6.5 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (17BB, 2 players) T:diamond: J:spade: 4:club:
      SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (17BB, 2 players) J:diamond:
      SB bets 9 BB, Hero?

PF: I 3-bet since CO seems weak so I assume I have the best hand here.

F: Only the flop I already have a made hand and my opponent checks to me, it makes no sense for me to bet for value, my hand is too weak to protect and I am unsure whether to c-bet bluff.

I don't want to inflate the pot when I hold a weak made hand, I hope to get to the showdown cheaply. The board also offers a number of hands which would call a bet {top pair, middle pair, overcards + draws}. My bluff only has to get through this one player but I'm unsure which hands SB will continue with since he is relatively unknown. I also have some backdoor outs, and could turn trips but this is highly unlikely. My bet could easily represent Jx or even TT+ since I did 3-bet pre-flop which means I could expect fold equity.

I think checking behind here is the best option since I'm unsure of SB's calling range, so I don't want to put my money in bad.

As played:
      T: Though the J makes it less likely for him to hold a J, he could already have Tx since a lot of his range will consist of these two cards. I think a fold here is ok.
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Raknyo,

Preflop: Sure he seems weak and we may have the best hand some amount of the time but aren't we just turning our hand into a bluff here?
      I personally prefer the call IP and maybe the short BB will shove a wider range that we can snap call (maybe because BB is short CO only opened 2x).

Flop: The problem with checking the flop is that we are most likely required to fold the turn because we enter a guessing game (since we have no info on villain).

So if we do check flop I'm simply giving up on the turn.

Now, on the flop we still have the best hand a lot and we can bet to take down the pot, have him fold his equity and of course protect our "Weak" hand versus overcards with gutshots/draws.

If he calls the flop we can check turn and see another free card because we won't really have much FE (on the Jx).

The problem in this hand started preflop when we made the pot larger with a weaker hand (turned a nice hand into a bluff).