Top Pair?

• 9 replies
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      When the board is 2,3,5 and you have A5, it's top pair (or better: top pair & top kicker = TPTK). You just have to have pair with top card on the board.
    • VinoKOM
      VinoKOM
      Bronze
      No u dont.. U can play with any kicker as long as the top card on the board is paired with one of your cards.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      oh... I didn't answer your question :rolleyes:

I'm sorry I was playing at the same time - VinoKOM is correct ;)
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      I have mush situation like these, for egzample:

preflop: AK
      flop AQQ

Do i still have a top pair? I often fold because I am afraid of trips, but I often do a mistake - the oponnent doesnt have trips. When I played in NL then I often folded or bluffed with such hand.

So how do I must act in this situation?
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SPeedFANat1c
      I have mush situation like these, for egzample:

preflop: AK
      flop AQQ

Do i still have a top pair? I often fold because I am afraid of trips, but I often do a mistake - the oponnent doesnt have trips. When I played in NL then I often folded or bluffed with such hand.

So how do I must act in this situation?
      Hi SPeedFANat1c and welcome to our forum. :)

Yes you have a toppiar here with the best possible kicker so even if trips are possible your hand is still pretty strong.

You usually want to see a showdown with this hand as they can have a weaker ace or a lower pocketpair or even just a gutshot draw.

So against 1 opponent you see a showdown here. If he aggresive then just call him down else bet every street against him. :)

If you are against 2 opponents and they raise a lot so that you are faced with two bets on the turn or river you can fold.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      And what if there would be AJ instead of AK? Is it a strong hand then?
    • shaywh
      shaywh
      Bronze
      it is still quite a strong hand. but there is a diffrence here, once that you have one of the three aces left, the odds someone will have queen or another ace are equal. if you are more than one opponent and you sure that one of them have a hand then you should fold against re-raises if you got a bad kicker since they probably have a better hand. most of the players wont try to bluff at such flops unless theyre pot commited.

edit: I havn't noticed that its a fixed limit forum. my answer was for NL of course. in FL I have nothing to add to what been said. except that against one opponent on the turn and the river I probably would have check-call.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SPeedFANat1c
      And what if there would be AJ instead of AK? Is it a strong hand then?
      You can play it the same way.
      If you raised preflop with it and you got 3-bet then it is possible that he holds AK but if you raised preflop and everyone else just called then it's very unlikely that someone has AK so AJ has the same strength as AK (not exactly the same).
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      thanks