It is not all about the money....[NL25->NL2->NL5 BLOG]

• Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      EDIT by Alan883[13.1.2014]. We are very sorry to inform you that we have to change your BLOG title since you really are a fish. Hope you understand.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      There is really a thin line between good bluff and huge mistake. I have got an inspiration when i was going through hands on our Hand evaluation forum for microstakes.

So i decided to start my first serious one blog. I had a blog time ago and it was everything except a serious one. So i decided to keep both. On one hand i would like to keep funny part and serious part of poker so i will update also the other blog in future.

Here is the the not serious part: Blog you don't like to read

Well actually i decided to stop writing it because i was Volunteer Hand Judge and it was quite unappropriated to be hand judge with such a blog. At some point i decided to finish faculty and that was the main reason to stop playing poker for a while. I made a cash-out and left for future few hundred bucks.

So right now i am starting all over and from 1.12.2012 i am going to update my blog after every session or at least just before beginning next one. First of all i politely asked PokerStrategy administration to remove my Judge sign on HE forums because i don't feel comfortable and confident enough to do great evaluations again. Anyway i still do many evaluations as "regular" user there.

Here I will try to discuss some problematic hands and i hope this BLOG will help me improving my game. I will show my results to the world and my progress if there will be any:) .

So i hope this is the beginning of new era and after all i hope that in some long term future i will be able to distinguish between good bluff and huge mistake.
  • 145 replies
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      As i promised. Today is 1.12.2012 and starting of my new era. Writing my new blog and with serious purposes. I will do it after every session to review my mistakes and somehow to convince me to do it. My first session in that manner is behind me and i am not generally satisfied with it despite that i made some profit.

Here is the graph of today's play.

I did i think few very bad hands and those i am going to put in HE forum and analyze them.

Here is the first hand put IN HE forum. I lost here all on flop vs 90/3 player.
      Obv bad play from my side.
      NL10SH AKs messed up

Another disgusting play in that session. So obv villain is stronger tham me. I don't know why i didnt just folded flop. He could be worse than me just with QJ and of course he is not doing that with QJ.
      NL10SH KJ TPGK flop raise

Well taht one was not so clear as other, but i think again very weak call by myself on turn.
      Nl10Sh JJ turn raise

Her is also a hand i won but it is questionable my flop play.
      NL10SH KK cBet vs SS and MS

So in general i was not satisfied with my session today but stil managed to do some profit. I hope to improve my game in next sessions.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      2.12.2012 and second day of my serious writing of this blog. I think today i played my best poker so far and i did some profit despite that i was extrimly unlucky.

Just look at EV line.

Of course there were still some questionable hands i want to discuss in NLHE forum so here they are.

There was strange situation with my 99 3bet preflop and then villains raise on reather good flop for me. I decided to fold and lets check what judges say.
      Nl10Sh 99 weak fold?

Next hand is like i hit with 73 on freeplay and i take initiative postflop then river card was so not good for me.
      NL10Sh 73 freeplay two pairs

Next one is AA play with quite interesting flop. From my point of view river bet is a bit questionable but maybe still good enaugh.
      Nl10Sh AA river play?

Another difficult hand happened. I flopped two paris on board AKQ with AQ and went all in on flop. Overplayed?
      Nl10Sh AQ flop two pairs all in justified?

Few more hands after this one i decided to stop playing becouse it destracted me a bit :f_cool: . That was shocking and of course i felt that it is the best to stop playing for today. That hand is one of those that contributed to my winning and EV line.
      NL10SH AK flop all in

In general i am super satisfied with my play today and i hop i can keep that momentum.

See you the one who don't follow me :f_cool: :f_biggrin:

And good luck at the tables.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      3.12.2012. We are almost at the end of this day and one another session is behind me. Today things were not very pretty and easy but rather i didn't run into many good hands and even when hands were good flop ruined them. So i am not that sad even if i did some deficit today but we cannot be every day in profit:) . I tried to catch some fishes but more or less they cought me today. :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:

Here is my graph for todays session:

What i dont like is my non show down winning line. Maybe i did a cBet or two to much but i dont feel like i played badly today.

Here are also some hands for discusion:

Here is first hand where i think i made correct decision and fold turn. Of coure our judges may think different :f_cool: :f_cool:
      NL10SH flop good fold?

And here is also a preflop fold with TT. I dont know if i should just check those vs such kind of opponent.
      NL10Sh TT

Good luck guys and see you soon :f_cool: :f_cool: :f_cool:
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      Hey Alan :)

Just read through some of your old blog and it made me lol quite a lot :D

Nice start to the serious blogging though, you have any goals? Short or long term?

Where you from by the way?
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Hey ExternalUseOnly,

thank you for stopping by. I am form Slovenia and i am surprised how many Slovenians i met here since we are so small in comparison with other countries :D .

I have somehow two goals and those are very general.

1) To play my best every session
      2) To improve my game all the time

Well if i do those two things i may start talking about other goal but is just to soon for that. I started with serious blog to motivate myself and of course to learn through it. Right now i enjoy the game so i it is not difficult. At some point i believe everyone becomes sick of it and there depends how the individual will react. Just like with girlfriends and wifes :P . So its just about us if we can overpass this or just lay down.

And one of goals is also keep the old blog alive for some fun since i know it is for readers so much funnier than this one :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Just a disgusting session is behind me and thanks god it is over :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:

Again didn't have luck with EV line but this time i played relly really bad. To passive without much thinking so i am totally disappointed by myself today.

Not cBetting enaugh without 2nd bareling it was just really bad,

Well i am pretty sure tomorrow will be better. This really was a dissapointing sesion.

Here is first hand worth of review.
      NL10SH KQs 3bet call

And another hand where i think many of ppl are struggling including me
      NL10SH KTs post flop play

Again a strange hand. Probably i have to fold flop like that :f_cry:
      NL10SH KQs flop play
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      After two consecutive days playing bad preflop i am going to reread and make a little study on profitable preflop actions. I hope it will help me finding better spots especially in 3bet pots. I need to react better on villains 3bets.

I am going to watch an study article below:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1572/1/

Let see if night will bring me any better results.

In nearest future (next days) i need also a good article on firing profitable cBets.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      I reread those videos as mentioned before. i just really have to take more consideration on action before me what are the players behind me. I think i just underestimate their ranges and i do it on my own. Today i have a plan to work on my preflop game and to think about it a lot. We will see what will happen during tonight session :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      The day and session are over. Again didn.t run good. I tried to find some profitable spot on 3betting and i think i did that quite good. Did a big mistake by calling a river fish reraise while fish had posflop AF like 0.7. Just made automatic call.

Have two suckouts and there is again a bad result. Hope for better playing tomorrow.

Again ran above EV line of course.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      No, no and now...this is how things are going in my poker this week:)

I still talk about variance and downswing but i am affraid this is omething more :f_biggrin:

Again disgusting EV line today.

And curent this week Showdown Winning VS EV line. Nice huh?!

Well we have to work hard to improve things in future.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      OK, there is exactly 14 days from the last post. I watched today Raskolnikof video series called "Champions Stand Up One More Time Than The Rest - Part 1" and somehow already changed my mind of poker and of what am i doing in it. This is just stunning what this guy did.

I was somehow stunned about his thinking of 5 steps to simple poker logic and the way he describe everything. So right now i am going to create something to complete step 4 so to create my Empirical evidence.

lately my poker was good, I run away from PokerStars and join PKR where i have a lot of time to think of my poker decision and to think about vilain because software is so slow.

Here are result of last 14 days of my poker.

Well if you take look at EV this line i am the luckiest fish currently :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:

So right now i am going to do some work on my Empirical evidence which is so important to become successful. If anyone wants to know more i suggest him to take a look at video i linked before.

:f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Ok another session is over and and i played again pretty good i think.

There were two strange hands played and i want to have second opinion because i am not sure i played them correctly and i also lost a bit of bbs there.

Here is first interesting hand where i dont know exactly if mine 3bet preflop was best option or it is just nicer to fold there. Call is i think out of the question.
      AQs NL10SH fplay

And here is second hand where i ad to fol my aces. Should i fold them before?
      NL0 SHAA fold to weak?

Also my graph for today.....it went pretty well despite mine EV line :f_biggrin:
    • SherlockHolmes2ez
      SherlockHolmes2ez
      Bronze
      Nice Blog
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SherlockHolmes2ez
      Nice Blog
      Thank you gentleman. I appreciate it.

Things were not going as i wish for the past week so i also took few days of rest to clear my mind. I struggled with some action and somehow i also tilted at some point and made some unreasonable actions. I knew in a second i did a mistake so i had to do something to stop this. As said i took a little break and it helped me to play totally carefree again. So yesterday i had nice session with one bad beat but the most important thing is that i don't care anymore about deficit i made in past few sessions.

here it is my unluky graph for past week.

Here is the hand that tilded me so much :f_love: :f_love:
      PKR, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BB): $10.17 (101.7 bb)
      CO: $13.50 (135 bb)
      BTN: $11.58 (115.8 bb)
      SB: $1.36 (13.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K K
      CO raises to $0.35, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1.10, CO calls $0.75

Flop: ($2.25) 4 Q 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.50, CO calls $1.50

Turn: ($5.25) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.50, CO calls $3.50

River: ($12.25) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.07 and is all-in, CO calls $4.07

Results:
      $20.39 pot ($1 rake)
      Final Board: 4 Q 6 3 8
      Hero showed K K and lost (-$10.17 net)
      CO showed 8 6 and won $19.39 ($9.22 net)

After hand like that i did a review of my biggest lost hadns and i see i really did many mistakes there calling some hands i really should fold and at this point i realized again how good fold is in poker. We always talking about hands we win but just to rare we talk about hands we made good fold especially because we never know what our opponent had. I look forward to do some nice hands in future and i hope i will be capable of preventing myself against such an action in future.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      27.12.2012 was the last update so its time i guess to think a bit about my play here. Last few days i was pretty lucky running nice over EV line. In general i think i am playing quite well but still i do some problematic calls when i got raised by flop or turn. I have to think about when is right time to fold and i think i can still improve my winning rate. I also post few hands on evaluation forum these days and also i was active at few discussions there.

Our judges on HE forums are doing great job. I also think that maybe they answer sometimes to fast because i think that it would be nice to make few evaluations by other before judges do.

First look at my graph isnt nice at all. Here is pretty ugly red line and i cannot improve it. I try to do my best game and if i am honest i also doesn't care about it while playing. This is one of the lesions i learnt recently. But the fact is that it is ugly :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: . I did some nice profit last days but i have to thank to the luck the most so i still have a lot things to improve.
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alan883

Hero (BB): $10.17 (101.7 bb)
      CO: $13.50 (135 bb)
      BTN: $11.58 (115.8 bb)
      SB: $1.36 (13.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K K
      CO raises to $0.35, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1.10, CO calls $0.75

Flop: ($2.25) 4 Q 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.50, CO calls $1.50

Turn: ($5.25) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.50, CO calls $3.50

River: ($12.25) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.07 and is all-in, CO calls $4.07

Results:
      $20.39 pot ($1 rake)
      Final Board: 4 Q 6 3 8
      Hero showed K K and lost (-$10.17 net)
      CO showed 8 6 and won $19.39 ($9.22 net)

epic :D

gl on your way up ;)
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Thanks zumpar :f_biggrin:

I just started with my work today and of course i have also just a little time to think about yesterdays session with cool head. So my decision is that i will start posting my worst played hands of the day. Yesterday i made two very bad decisions and somehow i have to encourage myself not to doing them. So i will try with this concept and somehow i hope it will bring me some positive results. So i am starting to post worst my play of the day plus possible funny suck-out so we have something to smile in this otherwise boring blog :f_cool:
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Things went just to good today. Every bet i made i think i got great cards on flop so just after less then 700 hands i stopped plying because i was facing somehow a positive tilt. I even cannot say if i played good because cards were just on my side and some fishes to.

This was one of the most pleasant sessions i ever had in my bad career.

• Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Time is for next update. I tried to play a bit more loose style but i run into some trouble playing with bad hands after the flop without proper plan. I dont know why i decided to play a bit more loosely but i will stick with TAG standar play in which i am successful at this limit. Also got an outstanding deposit bonus so i just have to play to create decent profit. Graph is disgusting and i am not proud of it but i am still working on improving my game so i hope it will get a bit better soon. Also i am going to read series Knowing me, knowing you to get better understanding and predicting others ranges etc. So i look forward to study even more.

Good luck to all at the tables.