CO: 134 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has Q:diamond: J:heart:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, SB calls 2.5 BB, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (9BB, 3 players) 4:diamond: K:club: J:spade:
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets 6 BB, SB calls 6 BB, BB calls 6 BB

Turn: (27BB, 3 players) A:spade:
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero?

PF: Bet for value from weaker holdings and also as a bluff to gain value from getting weak Ax and Kx hands to fold.

F: Well I could bet hoping to get value from weaker hands but it is more likely that someone will call with Kx so I can't bet for value here. I could bet as a bluff but the only hand I want to fold is KJ and since this is such a small percentage of each players range, this is impractical.

However, I could bet to protect my hand from straight draws and also a bet would provide me with information to see where I am at though it will still not be clear if I have the best hand or if my opponent's have a draw.

All together, since my hand is rather weak then it makes sense to practise pot control, there is no use in protecting a hand which could already be crushed so I should have checked behind.

As played:
      T: The ace means that QT makes the straight, AJ and AQ both improve their hand and most Kx hands also pick up a gutshot. Therefore a bet here would make no sense what so ever since not many holdings would fold to a second barrel. Hero should check behind and hope that he completes his straight or makes three-of-a-kind.

What is your general strategy for middle pair when your in position?

Would you play the flop any differently if the board was 4AJr?
  • 1 reply
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Preflop there's nothing much to comment.

I actually prefer checking back the flop.
      We have weak made hand and don't really think we could take value from many worse hands. So I'd rather see the turn for free and also we can call a turn bet.
      If the board was AJx I'd be even more inclined to check back since the A hits their range better than the K.

On the turn checking back is fine being 3way.

Best,
      Plamen