[NL20-NL50] check or protect

• daisuke3823
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP3 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K, A.
      MP2 calls $0.25, Hero raises to $1.00, 2 folds, SB calls $0.90, BB folds, MP2 calls $0.75.

Flop: ($3.25) 8, A, T (3 players)
      SB checks, MP2 bets $0.50, Hero raises to $1.70, SB calls $1.70, MP2 folds.

Turn: ($7.15) 9 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3.70, SB calls $3.70.

River: ($14.55) J (2 players)
      SB bets $5.25, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $14.55.
      early player stats in 10 hands vpip40 pfr20 af4 SB stats in 11 hands  vpip45 pfr27 af1,5
      on the turn,straight is possible but I bet to protect from flush.
      check was better?
  • 1 reply
    • EmanuelC16

I think your flop raise and turns bets are too small.

You have a lot of value to gain against his range. Those sort of bets you faced on the flop are 'tester' bets or information bets. They are obviously very bad and raising for value is the way to go and bluffing with equity.

Once SB calls I think he most likely has a flushdraw, maybe a weaker Ace. Basically, if he were very confident in the current value of his hand he would come over the top against your very small raise. Try to not think of a raise in comparison to the initial bet. Take into account pot size and stack/pot ratio as well.

Turn is not that bad of a card: QJ, T9 and 89 got there, and apart from the odd QJ, the other hands usually fold flop. Furthermore, you definitely get check/raised by those hands so you don't have a problem with bet/folding. You get value from worse and it's a super easy decision when getting raised.

River is nut worst and can't find any other play but fold.