JD's SNG Career

• JD888
      JD888
      Bronze
      hey everybody,

just wanted to make a blog to let you know how I'm doing and how I feel since I played break even for 330 sngs by now and don't really feel as comfortable as during the first 300 sngs. I read very much about sngs including collin moshman's sit 'n go strategy and I'm pretty sure that I can beat this limit or even higher but the variance keeps on frustrating me..
      I now started to take MTT sngs into my sets among the STT ones, for a 6-tabling set that looks like 4x STT and 2x MTT (one 18man and one 45 man) and done pretty well in them as you can see by looking at the rocketing part at the end of the graph...

so here's my graph for the last ~630 $6.05 Turbo sngs...

edit: forgot to mention that there are a few HU SNGs in the graph (about ~70).. I really enjoyed playing those because most of the opponents are very weak but I can't make any profit anymore during the last ones since people keep on outdrawing me constantly..
  • 5 replies
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi JD888,

IMO you shouldn't be worrying about a break even stretch. These things happen. You must be doing something right to be $280 up.

I would suggest that you work on the theoretical side of your game for a while. As you seem your loosing some confidence. If you look at my graph (in my blog), its pretty similar to yours. I am convinced mine is just variance, but it still gets me abit down also. It is hard to focus. My last week I took 5-6 hours out of my normal poker playing hours, and I had private HU coaching with my brother. Now I feel great about my game. So I suggest you do something similar (watch videos, articles and such).

Wish you the best of luck!
      Stiev
    • JD888
      JD888
      Bronze
      hey cannell,

thanks for your response.
      that's true I should get some confidence back. I did re-read some chapters and do another session today. I used to have a session once a week with a buddy of mine where he brought his computer to my place and we were grinding next to each other, we discussed every tough situation that has shown up and talked about the theoretical part very much. unfortunately we had to stop because he moved to his girlfriend who lives two driving hours away and we can't do these sessions anymore. I'm waiting for him to get an internet connection there to have some sessions via skype.
    • JD888
      JD888
      Bronze
      my session today was good all the way, managed to turn my good play into profit. I cashed only one time in the MTTs because I was sucked out twice in the other ones, KK vs TT for the backdoor flush and AK vs KJ both times close to the money but it's not that bad since I was able to play my absolute A game in the STTs. I'm especially contented with my heads up play which ensured me most itm today are 1st places.

the updated graph:
    • JD888
      JD888
      Bronze
      didn't have much time to play in the past two days, just played about 2 sets and made a small profit

• JD888
      JD888
      Bronze
      today the ever lasting topic variance made me sick several times again, but I guess that's one of the things that you must be able to handle with if you have the ambition to start a career of sng play..
      lost about 6,5 BI today within 5 sets. not that bad but there were some crazy suckouts mostly on the bubble again..

update: