Faarcyde's Road to Freedom

• faarcyde
      faarcyde
      Bronze
      pecunia, si uti scis, ancilla est; si nescis, domina

if you know how to use money, money is your slave; if you don't, money is your master

Inspired by Braminc's blog, I decided to do a little summary of my poker career. I plan on parsing it out in a few posts.

Back around Christmas 2004, I came down with a case of mononucleosis and was ordered to do nothing but rest. Confined to a couch and a television, I had little do and even less energy. When my mom would come home from work we would sit on the couch together and watch movies, talk, etc. This is the first I ever encountered poker...she was playing it on her laptop. I began to ask a lot of questions. I deposited $50 (sound familiar?) and jumped to the NL25 tables. My first big hand I had a full house, but I wasn't aware of the rules and when I called my opponent's all in he showed a flush. I thought I was beat with my "three of a kind." I was devastated until that glorious Party Poker jingle rang and the monies shipped my way!

Throughout the next couple years, I screwed around. I would run up my roll to $500, lose it, run it back up, rinse, repeat. I think in the back of my mind, I knew there was a larger strategy to winning. Success continued to elude me. My turning point was two fold - discovering 2+2 and then Cardrunners. On 2+2, I found various small stakes videos people posted for the community to see for free. I watched every one I could find, but eventually the well ran dry. Clayton, now of LeggoPoker, had made a few of those said videos. I PMed him to ask where I could find more and I distinctly remember him saying "The guys over at Cardrunners are doing good things." Once I subscribed, my mind was blown. Not at the strategy advice provided, but rather the sheer amounts of money people were playing with. The first time I saw a 10/20 video I thought for sure it was fake.

Being in college, I had A LOT of spare time and very little money. I was determined to make a few hundred dollars a month from poker. To me, at the time, that could have been a million! I shifted aimlessly from NL10 to NL25 to MTTs to SNGs, never making any substantial headway. As soon as I thought I had it all figured out, luck would even out and I would be flat on my bum, wondering what went wrong.

The funny thing about the early part of my poker "career" is how many times I almost went bust but miraculously didn't. At least a half-dozen times, disillusion and bitter with it all, I would gamble my entire roll in a $100 or $200 tournament, NL400 or the like and tell myself "if I don't win this, I'm done." During this time, I actually several month-long hiatuses because I felt like I would never progress beyond a mediocre player. I saw all these people around me posting graphs, winning thousands every month, "turning pro" and I could barely stay above water.

Then one day (probably an amalgamation of days to be honest), I decided that I don't care what it took, I was going to be the best poker player I could be. My whole life I hadn't been particularly "great" at anything. In sports, I was serviceable but never spectacular at baseball or soccer (football!). I took up skateboarding in my early teens and had a swell time filling my adolescence with it but never progressed in any impressive fashion. I had always been a "B" student. I was sick of doing everything half ass.

In retrospect, and this is certainly a bit of thinly-veiled foreshadowing, I realize now that most things can be accomplished in life by out working other people. You might not have the highest IQ or the greatest looks or the biggest muscles, but if you are willing to do what other people are not, eventually you will overcome and achieve what you desire. Finding out what I desired and what I was best at was the next step.
  • 80 replies
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      First :f_biggrin:

Sounds pretty much like my story (I'm not yet where you are), basically being a BE player before deciding "fuck it, I'm doing this for real".

Looking forward to more posts :s_love:
    • Gavron23
      Gavron23
      Bronze
      Very inspiring post sir. Will follow this with great interest!
    • ThePirateSword
      ThePirateSword
      Global
      OMG This sound alot like me...keep posting please
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      In retrospect, and this is certainly a bit of thinly-veiled foreshadowing, I realize now that most things can be accomplished in life by out working other people. You might not have the highest IQ or the greatest looks or the biggest muscles, but if you are willing to do what other people are not, eventually you will overcome and achieve what you desire. Finding out what I desired and what I was best at was the next step.

Epic - well said!

[x] Following
    • acceleration123
      acceleration123
      Silver
      Nice :P gonna follow this
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      Nice opening post. I think there will be a lot of people here than can relate to it. Especially me.
      I had always been a "B" student. I was sick of doing everything half ass.
      This pretty much sums up how i feel right now looking forward to the next posts :)
    • braminc
      braminc
      Basic
      Wow I had "mono" during christmas as well and I think it was in 2004 too!? Were we already in our making out phase back then? :D

Do you ever wonder how much $ you didn't win by not finding Pokerstrategy/2+2/Video sites sooner? 2004 were the days!
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      What took you so long, sailor? Anyhoo, subscribed of course. Nice first post and look forward to reading the rest of the story soon :)
    • herekPL
      herekPL
      Bronze
      def subed
    • faarcyde
      faarcyde
      Bronze
      warning: drunk

listening to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjUYr5RN6cM

i've often thought about how i have benefited from luck, chance. why was i lucky enough to make good money before Black Friday wielded it's ugly head? why am i lucky enough for the canadian border to be ten minutes away? why was i lucky enough to stumble upon poker when i was at a place in my life where nothing else made sense or had any meaning? not a fan of poker analogies, but poker mirrors life in so many ways. life is about hard work and seizing luck when the opportunity arises. luck attracts the layperson who feels they could have an edge over other players even if they are a novice .

in college, i was a victim. a victim of a system that encourages people to spend $100k in search of a destiny they have no idea about. i never had a vague idea of what i wanted to do. did i want to make money? did i want to do something i love? both? was it possible? i got a degree in journalism and hated every moment of it. writing stories about people should have some sort of romantic attraction, but to me it always felt forced because in the end it was always a product. if there is anything i hate, it is products. i think that is why, if i had any success in producing videos, it is because i try to be as real as possible. if i made videos for free i would make the exact same ones i do now. i never hold anything back, and im sure, if you have watched, a lot of my instruction is stream of conciousness, free thought. i can't pretend to be some great articulate thinker, because i am not. my ideas, strategies and concepts are scattered but in my brain make sense. hopefully they make sense to you.

when i graduated, i was still a boy, thought like a boy. one thing i like about college is it does teach you how to function in this world on your own. how to deal with people, how to express yourself, how to open a checking account. but it is all FUNCTION not style or mental balance. it doesn't teach you happiness or original thought, though. i suppose you spend the rest of your life trying to figure that one (or two) out. i got a job at a newspaper and then another, all the time miserable. i continued playing poker without any hope of ever making any real money from it. i loved it though because it was an absolutely Libertarian endeavor. your results were your results. maybe not in the short- or medium-term but in the long term you are the exact summation of your thoughts. where else in the world can this be? in a utopian capitalistic society, maybe. but in the real world, you are never sure where you stand. when i said before that out working people is my truth, i meant it. it is the only strategy to make sure you overcome the inequities of life and its other elements.

stuck in some backwoods town in Michigan, i was determined to leave and hit the reset button, somehow. i had $2,000 in my full tilt account. i used it to move back to the town i went to college and move in with my old roommate.

one weird story i remember is attaching my car to my UHaul truck to tow it back, i couldn't figure out for the life of me to secure it. i spent a good two hours fiddling with it, no success. as if my thoughts of anger and depression were divine, a man appeared in a shadow above me. i looked up, and bearing over me he could see my frustration. with two clicks he was able to secure the car and i was on my way. we always need a little help from someone. i bet Einstein had a therapist.

i put all the kinetic force (and Full Tilt money) i had into succeeding at poker while working at my old job making ends meet.

luck strikes again. ever curious about the higher stakes, i would watch the $500 games on Full Tilt wondering "what are these guys doing that I am not?" i saw a player by the name of Braminc. i was attracted to him because his name was so simplistic i knew he had to be a good player. i looked at his SS graph and was overwhelmed how someone could have made 100k in their poker career. how would i ever make contact with him though? luck. browsing 2+2 later that day, i saw he posted in a strategy thread, i immediately PMed him and asked if he wanted to take me on as a protege. i would do whatever he wanted if he could get me up to the high stakes. i had the fundamentals down by this point, the basics. but i didnt know how to think. still a boy. eventually he would teach me creative thinking and a lot more.

post tenebras spero lucem
      after darkness, I hope for light

now listening to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajXePDRO9Q8
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      So excited about next instalment to this story: braminc and Faarcyde ~ the wonder years. Still peeved you didn't start this sooner. Better late than never, I guess!

PS nice tunes.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      More! Please :)
    • Borisian
      Borisian
      Bronze
      +1
      Subscribed
    • woodmo
      woodmo
      Bronze
      "My whole life I hadn't been particularly "great" at anything. In sports, I was serviceable but never spectacular at baseball or soccer (football!). I took up skateboarding in my early teens and had a swell time filling my adolescence with it but never progressed in any impressive fashion."

It's... like. MEEE :|

nice reading sir, keep it up :)
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      Tell us moaaarrrrrr. Really interesting read :)

Originally posted by faarcyde

post tenebras spero lucem
      after darkness, I hope for light

And keep posting these too
    • acceleration123
      acceleration123
      Silver
      Mooore :f_love:
    • faarcyde
      faarcyde
      Bronze
      I'll get to part three soon. In the mean time, here is a tattoo I just got :)

• faarcyde
      faarcyde
      Bronze
      Also here were my results for today. I haven't ran bad for a while, jerks X(

• Borisian
      Borisian
      Bronze
      Awesome tatt. how long in the chair?