Non-poker poker

• JLeitmotiv
      JLeitmotiv
      Bronze
      So, here I am writing in my 23-inch monitor in a pretty old wooden chair surrounded by a complete mess that is in my room. And I have realized that the only pretty good things in my poker session is that my monitor is pretty wide. I have only one monitor, but it's enough for 4-tabling as I do.

But obviously, this chair is pretty uncomfortable, having to jump over some clothes in the floor is uncomfortable as well, and I am pretty sure it affects my poker performance some how. So my poker goal this weekend are:

- Getting a good chair
      - Tidying up my room!

But it also got me wondering... do you realize you have/had this extra-poker things affecting you? What things? How do you prepare your sessions for them to be the most comfortable?
  • 4 replies
    • kartsah
      kartsah
      Bronze
      I like this post for the chair part especially ! I really struggled to play long sessions myself, since it was painful to sit on my shi**y chair for all day long.

I did invest from the money I got after splitting money with my staker to buy a completely new chair. I seriously feel no back pain anymore, and I can easily play 10 hours a day without having to suffer that much. So investing on a new chair is never a bad idea. NEVER.

Heres a link to the chair I bought: http://www.ikea.com/fi/fi/catalog/products/50178859/

I also have 23-inch monitor which is fine for 4-tabling zoom or 12-tabling some 6-max, though 2 monitors would be better I believe, but definitely not a "must".

If you want to put more volume in and play longer hours a day, then my simple advice is:

Buy a new chair, always have a cold water bottle near you(or a full glass of milk is nice too *^_^*), and play 1hour sessions and have 5 minute breaks between those to piss of smoke cigarets. I do smoke which is definitely minus EV since I have the urge to leave tables to refresh myself with nikotine :(
    • madorjan
      madorjan
      Bronze
      In an other post you mentioned that you like doing the same as me. Well, in this matter, you probably don't.:)

I believe that a good chair is a must, sadly cause I'm overweight I have to have a special chair that can bear my weight (and therefore costs a ton), that is not very comfortable - hopefully that'll change soon.

The mess around you may or may not be -EV. Honestly, I clean up every 2 weeks or so, and always make a mess on the next day. It doesn't seem to affect me, maybe screws my poker time a bit when I have to look for my RSA keychain for 5 minutes, but that's all I guess. I'll try to change that soon also, I'll see how big of an affect it has on my game.
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      Having a good set up makes a huge difference. After having two 30" monitors to grind on and a computer with a nice chair. Grinding on my laptop makes me miserable and definitely affect my performance. Also on top of that I have to send the computer back in to get the video card replaced after waiting 3 weeks to receive it fml.
    • JLeitmotiv
      JLeitmotiv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by madorjan
      In an other post you mentioned that you like doing the same as me. Well, in this matter, you probably don't.:)

I believe that a good chair is a must, sadly cause I'm overweight I have to have a special chair that can bear my weight (and therefore costs a ton), that is not very comfortable - hopefully that'll change soon.

The mess around you may or may not be -EV. Honestly, I clean up every 2 weeks or so, and always make a mess on the next day. It doesn't seem to affect me, maybe screws my poker time a bit when I have to look for my RSA keychain for 5 minutes, but that's all I guess. I'll try to change that soon also, I'll see how big of an affect it has on my game.
      I know how that feels man, I used to be overweight as well (I am still slightly overweight, but within a standard deviations I guess :D ). And cleaning up my room has been a very good thing as well! I couldn't find the time to buy the chair, since none of them suited me perfectly, but I guess I am just being extremely picky!