This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Non-poker poker

• JLeitmotiv
      JLeitmotiv
      Bronze
      So, here I am writing in my 23-inch monitor in a pretty old wooden chair surrounded by a complete mess that is in my room. And I have realized that the only pretty good things in my poker session is that my monitor is pretty wide. I have only one monitor, but it's enough for 4-tabling as I do.

But obviously, this chair is pretty uncomfortable, having to jump over some clothes in the floor is uncomfortable as well, and I am pretty sure it affects my poker performance some how. So my poker goal this weekend are:

- Getting a good chair
      - Tidying up my room!

But it also got me wondering... do you realize you have/had this extra-poker things affecting you? What things? How do you prepare your sessions for them to be the most comfortable?
  • 4 replies
    • kartsah
      kartsah
      Bronze
      I like this post for the chair part especially ! I really struggled to play long sessions myself, since it was painful to sit on my shi**y chair for all day long.

I did invest from the money I got after splitting money with my staker to buy a completely new chair. I seriously feel no back pain anymore, and I can easily play 10 hours a day without having to suffer that much. So investing on a new chair is never a bad idea. NEVER.

Heres a link to the chair I bought: http://www.ikea.com/fi/fi/catalog/products/50178859/

I also have 23-inch monitor which is fine for 4-tabling zoom or 12-tabling some 6-max, though 2 monitors would be better I believe, but definitely not a "must".

If you want to put more volume in and play longer hours a day, then my simple advice is:

Buy a new chair, always have a cold water bottle near you(or a full glass of milk is nice too *^_^*), and play 1hour sessions and have 5 minute breaks between those to piss of smoke cigarets. I do smoke which is definitely minus EV since I have the urge to leave tables to refresh myself with nikotine :(
    • madorjan
      madorjan
      Bronze
      In an other post you mentioned that you like doing the same as me. Well, in this matter, you probably don't.:)

I believe that a good chair is a must, sadly cause I'm overweight I have to have a special chair that can bear my weight (and therefore costs a ton), that is not very comfortable - hopefully that'll change soon.

The mess around you may or may not be -EV. Honestly, I clean up every 2 weeks or so, and always make a mess on the next day. It doesn't seem to affect me, maybe screws my poker time a bit when I have to look for my RSA keychain for 5 minutes, but that's all I guess. I'll try to change that soon also, I'll see how big of an affect it has on my game.
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      Having a good set up makes a huge difference. After having two 30" monitors to grind on and a computer with a nice chair. Grinding on my laptop makes me miserable and definitely affect my performance. Also on top of that I have to send the computer back in to get the video card replaced after waiting 3 weeks to receive it fml.
    • JLeitmotiv
      JLeitmotiv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by madorjan
      In an other post you mentioned that you like doing the same as me. Well, in this matter, you probably don't.:)

I believe that a good chair is a must, sadly cause I'm overweight I have to have a special chair that can bear my weight (and therefore costs a ton), that is not very comfortable - hopefully that'll change soon.

The mess around you may or may not be -EV. Honestly, I clean up every 2 weeks or so, and always make a mess on the next day. It doesn't seem to affect me, maybe screws my poker time a bit when I have to look for my RSA keychain for 5 minutes, but that's all I guess. I'll try to change that soon also, I'll see how big of an affect it has on my game.
      I know how that feels man, I used to be overweight as well (I am still slightly overweight, but within a standard deviations I guess :D ). And cleaning up my room has been a very good thing as well! I couldn't find the time to buy the chair, since none of them suited me perfectly, but I guess I am just being extremely picky!