[NL2-NL10] Kk 29/11

• carrapa
      carrapa
      Bronze
      Prima, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $6.59 (164.8 bb)
      BTN: $8.04 (201 bb)
      Hero (SB): $4 (100 bb)
      BB: $4.03 (100.8 bb)
      MP: $3.36 (84 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K K
      MP calls $0.04, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.22, BB folds, MP calls $0.18

Flop: ($0.48) 8 J 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, MP raises to $0.84, Hero raises to $3.78 and is all-in, MP calls $2.30 and is all-in

Turn: ($6.76) J (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($6.76) A (2 players, 2 are all-in)

?(
  • 2 replies
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      Against an unknown player raising you on the flop such aggression shows a very strong hand. They could easily have an 8 in their range. KK is a very strong hand, but against that aggression I find I'm usually beat without any other stats/history to know that a player is a maniac and likely doesn't have anything strong.

That said, many low limit players would get it in with any Jack and decent kicker (AJ-JT?), so you could be against someone who doesn't want to give up top pair.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi carrapa,

It's kind of hard to say with no reads. The only thing I know is that he's probably a weak player who didn't read any strategy articles or books, given that he bought in for 84bb.

On the Flop, I could go either way. If he only checkraises 8X then obviously we should fold. If he checkraises some JX, we should stack off. If he also checkraises as a bluff some small % of the time (with gutshots or maybe he checkraises T9 and stacks off), then we should be more inclined to stack off.

I think based on everything (including his slightly shallower stack), I like your play. I don't think it's out of the question for him to raise JX and just play for stacks.