BTN: 112 BB
      Hero (SB): 137 BB
      BB: 100 BB
      UTG: 111.5 BB
      MP: 202 BB
      CO: 47.5 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has J:spade: J:club:

fold, MP raises to 2 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 8 BB, fold, MP calls 6 BB

Flop: (17BB, 2 players) A:club: K:diamond: A:diamond:
      Hero bets 11 BB, MP calls 11 BB

Turn: (39BB, 2 players) 6:diamond:

As played:

Hero checks, MP bets 4 BB, Hero calls 4 BB

River: (47BB, 2 players) 7:heart:
      Hero checks, MP bets 14 BB, fold

PF: I assume I have the best hand here since MP only min-bets, so I 3-bet to gain maximum value and also to protect my hand from any over-cards.

F: I don't think a bet for value here makes much sense, I don't think lower pocket pairs would be willing to call a bet on such a scary board which obviously hits my range quite well. I don't think I can bluff any better hands with just a single bet but a bet could protect my hand from any possible draws and I obviously win the pot most times uncontentested when I actually have the best hand.

T: Still can't bet for value here, however, I think that a double barrel would get most Kx hands to fold as I can easily represent the ace and villain is more likely to have a draw or Kx rather than Ax. I also do a good job at protecting my hand from any gutshots or hands which have now turned flush draws.

As played:
      T: I'm unsure what to make of MP's small bet, it is most likely a bluff induce so I call hoping to spike my two-outer and get him all in. However, I do not rule out that this could be a Kx or a draw trying to take a cheap shot at the pot.

R: The only hands I am beating which are still capable to being in my opponent's range are QJ, QT and JT, however, since I hold two jacks then it is less likely that MP has QJ or JT. Overall, I'm unsure on what to make of this bet (my brain hurts) so I practise EV maximisation (folding when unsure, to come back to tackle problem post-game) and fold to prevent a mistake.
  • 1 reply
    • mbml

Flop: It's true that you don't get value from worse and you don't fold out better. That means you should check.

The main purpose of betting here is to disguise the strength of our hand. Given that the board is paired, I think when we check here we shouldn't expect people to go crazy and bluff us here (we could be slowplaying the nuts). We would also be checking AK/AA/KK as well.

As played once you bet Flop you should c/f Turn.