[NL20-NL50] [sh] NL 50 small fd vs fish IP

• DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      On Game, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $42.79 (85.6 bb)
      BTN: $54.77 (109.5 bb)
      SB: $63.21 (126.4 bb)
      Hero (BB): $61.49 (123 bb)
      MP: $50 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5 7
      3 folds, SB raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1

Flop: ($3) 4 2 J (2 players)
      SB bets $3, Hero calls $3

Turn: ($9) T (2 players)
      SB bets $6.75, Hero calls $6.75

River: ($22.50) A (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $16, SB calls $16

No raise early in the hand as my fd is weak imo.

Thought opponent is going to be giving up a lot on the river correlated with his WTSD of 16
  • 5 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Seems to me he doesn't go to showdown because he wins with aggression quite often.

I would actually argue your preflop call is not awesome if his SB steal is 10% long term. That said, he is not positionally aware so he probably plays the same hands from ever position, meaning 75s is going to be fine both to call or 3bet. I do see he doesn't fold often to 3bets but that just means he'll have weak hands postflop.

On the flop I think calling is fine and depending on your read and dynamic, raising is also doable. I can't give an exact answer, it depends on what other info you have on your opponent, apart from stats. That said, I dislike the turn call. You will face a river bet extremely often, so unless you were planning on shoving vs a river bet, then you play for the flushdraw only. Based on AFq, he is a player that when he starts betting, he doesn't stop too often AND when he stops he won't always give up as you see here.

Personally, I've been experimenting with shoves in such spots where people tend to check/call to bluffcatch draws or thin vbets from KJ type hands with their A9 or something like that.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      hi demorcohsp

You should fold turn for sure with such a weak flush draw. With a higher flush draw you could call and dominate some worse draws, or sometimes with like Ace high flush draw I just check river and win the showdown.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Another point "my flush draw is too weak to raise"

I agree that your flush draw is too weak to raise/call on the Flop. But you could raise/fold as a bluff. I would never raise medium strength flush draws IP most of the time, so if it's like Q or K high flush draw I probably call and see the Turn. I don't want to raise and face a 3bet. But with such a weak 7 high flush draw I don't mind raise/fold. That's not to say that calling is bad, but I think it's an option.

There are also strong flush draws, like maybe Ace high nut flush draw in 3b pots, or in BvB spots where people just bluff so much or stack off really light. Or maybe you have a combo flush draw (pair+ FD or straight + FD) then those are strong enough to raise/call.

In short, when in position
      Weak Flush Draws: Raise/Fold or Call
      Medium strength Flush Draws: Call
      Strong combo flush draws: raise/call (or call)
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I agree with what Galvin said but want to point out something: When IP, calling is always an option. When deciding between calling or raising you should think of how your opponent plays next streets (can you double float, do you have implied odds, can you bluff later with more money in the pot) and your range/perceived range (do you never raise flops, if you raise, what range do you do it with).
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Thanks for the great input guys! Many you remembered me that my overbetting on the river gun has not been used in a while :f_thumbsup: