[NL2-NL10] reraise short stacker with JJ

• bckdrflush
      bckdrflush
      Bronze
      According to SHC I should raise with one raise to my JJ, QQ, KK. AK, or AA. Since the reraise would be 3x, or 3$ - more than half my stack, I must go all in. It's another short stacker that raised me, so he might fold if he has TT, 99 or AQ with which he also might have raised from MP.

So he has more chance to have TT 99 AQ AK than AA KK or QQ. I can fold my JJ or call - but raising to one raise is prescribed by the SSS. The size of my reraise to his remaining stack is about 1:1 so I'm also not giving him good odds to call any raise with a hand like TT 99 AQ. Should I just cold call w. JJ? What if it was against a big stack?

$0.1/$0.25 No Limit Holdem
      9 players
      Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG vanao ($5.75)
      UTG+1 Luny22388 ($31.50)
      MP1 Hundigah ($26.00)
      MP2 matrix315 ($13.95)
      MP3 pokerHaJo ($5.00)
      CO MrXdu ($36.35)
      BTN 52 PICUP ($42.30)
      SB Hero ($4.40)
      BB MathTeacher408 ($12.85)

Pre-flop: ($0.35, 9 players) Hero is SB J J
      4 folds, pokerHaJo raises to $1, 2 folds, Hero goes all-in $4.40, 1 fold, pokerHaJo calls $3.40

Flop: Q J 6 ($9.05, 2 players)

Turn: 4 ($9.05, 2 players)

River: J ($9.05, 2 players)

Final Pot: $9.05
      pokerHaJo shows: A A
      Hero shows: J J

Hero wins $8.60 ( won +$4.20 )
      pokerHaJo lost -$4.40
  • 4 replies
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/169/

I assume you've read/studied this article. I suggest printing it out, especially the chart.
      So according to the chart. Villain is on Middle Position, You are on Late position and up till now there is no dead money.

So therefore your equity is around 50% giving you not the right odds to push him all-in.

If you are a conservative player - like me - you should fold.
      If you want to have a look at the flop (Low board preferable) you should cold-call. Surely he will make a c-bet or push all-in but with this call you have more information at your disposal.
      Pushing All-in is not profitable in the long run against another Shortstacked player.

Now concerning your other question 'What if it was against a big stack?'.
      Well then you should Push All-in because his range of hands is much larger than that of a SSS'er. Therefore your Equity will increase a lot. Also your Fold equity will increase against a BSS player.

To sum up:
      Against a SSS Player: Fold or Cold-Call for information
      Against a BSS Player: Push all-in

Hope this makes sense ;)
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      First I would like to say that not every short stacked player is a short stack strategy player. And if you have no reads or stats on him you should just consider him an ordinary player, which means you should make a normal reraise(all-in in your case).

On the other hand if we presume the villain was a solid SSS player, then you are still in favour against his range on MP3, so it's an easy push for me also in this situation.

In the long term you won't see holding him AA in similar situations very often.

About your play I can only say nice hand.
    • dallievas
      dallievas
      Bronze
      Nice hand.
      As burek2000 said not every shortstack is SSS player and even against SSS players top 5% range this is coin flip 50/50.Your hand proved that :D
      Good luck :)
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Originally posted by burek2000
      First I would like to say that not every short stacked player is a short stack strategy player. And if you have no reads or stats on him you should just consider him an ordinary player, which means you should make a normal reraise(all-in in your case).

On the other hand if we presume the villain was a solid SSS player, then you are still in favour against his range on MP3, so it's an easy push for me also in this situation.

In the long term you won't see holding him AA in similar situations very often.

About your play I can only say nice hand.