Over last 5 days down 40BI

• brian997
      brian997
      Bronze
      I'm not normally one to complain but this is getting ridiculous. Every day I have lost, on average 8 buy-ins. I have almost burnt through all my profits that I made since I started my challenge $0.00 to $x,000.00 in 3 months

I'm not looking for sympathy or empathy from anyone, I want to know what I can do to improve. I don't feel that my game has any leaks, I have reviewed my hands, and a large number were either bad beats or me losing after a freeplay. I have stopped the latter from happening in the last two days, but I can't stop the bad beats, thats poker.

I have moved down the limits to protect my BR, I have moved to NL10 from NL20.
      My post flop game needs work, but for the most part >90% I move all-in preflop (playing SSS). I don't feel that I am prepared to risk going to BSS either, so thats not an option.

I try to attend coachings, but the time schedules on the ones I want to attend suck, I'm either working or sleeping so I haven't been to one yet.

Any ideas?

If you would like to see stats or a graph or anything, let me know and I'd be happy to post it.
  • 9 replies
    • shloogy
      shloogy
      Bronze
      hey mate!
      i'm sorry to hear that!
      40bi is a lot.

1.according ur post from what i can see is the first thing u need to do is stop playing those free play.it is very difficult to make a profit out of position especially when u r in the blinds, think about it, many time u come in with the worst hand (say 49o and hit 447) and u will find yourself many times ending up with the worst hand. why would someone want to put in 20bb without at least a trips good kicker (regarding the example above? only a fish of course but that wont happen to often isn't it?

2.how loose u are? do u play AQ from early position? how about 99? maybe try tighten up a little .

and of course, don't forget, sss is very swingy, i play sss as well on nl50 and today i had a very bad day, losing 10bi .not that fun isn't it? losing flips and taking bad beats are part of the game and just memorize it, sucks, but like Tony soprano used to say "what u gonna do hu?"

please do remember what was the reason that gave u the motivation to start your quest from the beginning! don't forget it and lets hope for a better days...

shloogy
    • brian997
      brian997
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply.
      I was playing hands exactly like you said in the first one, but I have stopped. Since then I only played one hand on a freeplay, I had Q10s and the board was A92 all in the same suit, so I flopped what was probably the best flush. Other than that I have folded/checked everything, even two pair. Just not worth it.

My game is very tight. My VPIP is 5.6 and my PFR is 5.6 in the last 5 days. Overall (15k hands), my VPIP is 6.6 and my PFR is 6.5. So I've even tightened up over the last couple days.

I am going to come home from work tonight and play 1k hands on NL10. If I don't have a positive return, I am going to stop playing for three days and hopefully something will change. Thats the only thing I can really think of that would help right now tbh.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Hey brian997,

sad to hear it, 50buy-ins is kinda extreme
      but, you have to be as self-critical as possible

I don't feel that my game has any leaks

Please, don't get me wrong, i don't want to insult you, but you simply have no competence to judge it.
      Just try to feel it differently, like your game has ton of leaks (you have to believe me here, it has)
      and keep on fixing them

you've posted 3 hands in our sample hand boards
      even though, i've (and others) wrote 100's posts on this forum, explaining how crucial it is for your game
      just work 2x-3x more on your game
      poker is tough, it takes time and A LOT of efforts to progress, but the payoff worth it.
      Post hands, watch videos, make one yourself...
      there are just so many aspects of the game, where you can improve

and post your pokerev graph, if its possible
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      btw, the fact that you are playing long sessions after working the whole day, dramatically affects the quality of your game
      reduce the time and number of tables
    • shloogy
      shloogy
      Bronze
      hey Brian,
      1.about folding two pair - do u play with stats? if so, than fold it to a tight player, but again aggressive player rest assured that u are often ahead.if ur in bb and flopped two pair, and your opponents has like more than 2.0 AF than come over the top. but if u r playing vs a tight player that have VP10 PR8 and AF1.0 than give it up ...unless u have like top two plus back door FD or someting and the board is not connected like 456 or so...even than u might be vs a set but not u cant give them a credit for set now don't u? :)

2.please, do not take 1k sample size for such a decision if to play or not...its just don't enough.just look at the overall.if u are positive, even 0.1bb\100 than great keep it up, continue learning and improve your game.dont make such decisions based on "if i win in this session i will be a pro" u know playing SSS is very swingy, u can have AK 10 times during the first 500 hands and lose them all, and get AA,KK.QQ couple of times and not getting called\raise ...

take care,
      shloogy
    • brian997
      brian997
      Bronze
      Originally posted by brian997
      I don't feel that my game has any leaks
      What I meant when I said that was that my preflop game has no leaks. I follow to SHC to a tee. I know for a fact that my postflop game needs work, as I said later:
      Originally posted by brian997
      My post flop game needs work
      But I'm not going to argue, that did sound arrogant.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it :)

I am limiting the amount of time that I play after work now.

Also, I am just about to start making a little video of my play.
      I'll pull up my EV graph too and post it in a bit, when I update my blog.

-Brian
    • brian997
      brian997
      Bronze
      Originally posted by shloogy
      do u play with stats?
      Hey shloogy,
      I don't play with stats. I have tried to use HEM's HUD, but it is really bad, its really cluttery especially when multitabling (on the little tables).
      I was using Pokerace for a little while, but then I switch my DB over to HEM instead, and now I can't use both at the same time.

-Brian
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      its really cluttery especially when multitabling (on the little tables).

reduce the number of stats
      leave just Vpip/PFR/Hands
      w/o abbriviation

You don't really need stats on nl 10-25, but its not a bad idea to have them
      at least, to get used to
      because, there is a time gap, between having statistics and start using statistics)

I know it looks awful) in fact, i had the same problem, playing 12 tables on 15" screen, but its something you have to do.
    • mesorucky
      mesorucky
      Bronze
      Originally posted by shloogy
      u know playing SSS is very swingy, u can have AK 10 times during the first 500 hands and lose them all,
      Man sounds like my last 3000 hands!! So maybe i can feel a little better knowing ah well it happens! Im actually laughing at ace king now because its been so bad for me!