The PokerStrategy.com Advent Calendar 2012

• IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze

Last year you may have seen our 2011 Advent Calendar The PokerStrategy.com Advent Calendar in which we celebrated some of the most recognised guys in the communnity.

This year we decided to try and give a small present each day.

Things you can expect in the calendar!

-> Free videos made especially for you
      -> Interviews with members of PokerStrategy.com to show what happens behind the scenes
      -> Your Santa wish list
      -> Special podcast with a very special guest
      -> !Punked!
      -> Win this and get yourself a Christmas present
      -> PokerStrategy.com challenges

Once again I would like to thank all of you guys for continuing to make this place so special. From my moderator team, to the education team, to the guys writing the news, to the members welcoming people in the introduce yourself section, to y'all who blog reguarly and to the guys helping out in the strategy forum.

:heart: :heart: THANK YOU! :heart: :heart:
  • 89 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze

Staff Profile!

Who: Oscar or perhaps better known to you guys as "imfromsweden"

Yes but who?!: IFS started a blog a few years ago proclaiming that he would be playing nose bleeds by the end of the year. After winning a couple of dollars in a freeroll, IFS climbed the ranks of no limit cash games and eventually was a permenant fixture in the high stakes games around the internet.

Oscar defeated our very own Pleno1 in Thursday nights Quarter Final and takes on KTU on Tuesday night.

Cool, so what does he do for PokerStrategy.com? We decided to ask him ourselves!

PokerStrategy.com: Hi Oscar, congratulations on winning on Thursday and also for being number 1 on our advent calendar list!

IFS:Heh, thanks it was nice to win and I'm looking forward to playing KTU on Tuesday. Advent calendar rocks!

PS: So what exactly are you doing at PokerStrategy.com?

O: So, I've been here 3 months and you've just decided to ask? pft! Hehe just kidding, I'm working in the poker school alongside Pleno1, Melvin and numerous others. We are working hard to ensure that quality standards are as high as possible so I'm giving feedback to coaches, being active in the strategy boards and trying to give as much input as possible on other promotions and projects that run.

PS: Sounds like a pretty perfect job for a poker player, is there anything in particular that you have enjoyed working on:

O: Yeah its pretty fun! I really like the concept of the Heads Up Championship, heads up is the purest form of poker and I really like the fact that I can battle against some of the sickest minds on the internet.

PS: Ok, thanks Oscar and good luck in your match on Tuesday. Ship the lot!
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Awesome was hoping this thread would be back this year :)
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Confirmed luckbox.

I mean hero.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Pic is bad.. should be him rubbing Patrick's money on titties (his or some ladies around him :D ).
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Pic is bad.. should be him rubbing Patrick's money on titties (his or some ladies around him :D ).
      :D

Epic thread in the making :heart:
    • Cornie4ever
      Cornie4ever
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16

good ideas, thanks for inspiration :f_biggrin: :s_thumbsup:

...good to have you here, Oscar :] Looking forward to another clash of office titans KTU - IFS
    • JohnTheGreatest
      JohnTheGreatest
      Silver
      I like this, bring on happiness! :s_thumbsup:

• IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze

Although most people associate poker schools and training websites with good videos another huge part of our business model is the hand evaluation boards.

As a poker school we promise our members that if they have a hand that they are unsure about, we will answer it for them in their respective status sections. Recently we migrated from hand evaluation forums to hand discussion forums, trying to increase the exposure of the boards whilst still keeping the evaluation aspect.

Today as part of the advent calendar give aways, we have set a challenge for you all. Read about the guys below and then take part.

Win a database review!

I would love to welcome you to our super awesome no limit cash game hand evaluation team :f_love:

BogdanPS

Bogdan is taking care of the NL2-NL10 board and also helps out in the NL25-NL50 board, recently he has taken control of the beginners course project. Always taking great care in every post Bogdan does a fantastic job of helping our aspiring poker players.

Keyser1

A recent addition to the team, carefully scouted from twoplustwo his posts are nothing short of amazing. He takes great time and effort in all posts and whilst his posts may seem very long, they are very very informative and well structured. It is an absolute pleasure to have Keyser on board.

In the spoiler below is the "debut post"

Originally posted by Keyser1
      Hi burek,
      You played this hand well. At a regular table with a read that villain is a strong, solid player and with the knowledge that villain perceives you to also be a solid player then shoving the river with 99 is reasonable but a little thin. It's thin because most of your perceived semi-bluffing range got there with the exception of hands like non-spade JT, KJ, etc., which most people float flop with anyway. Thus, if villain has AK then I'd expect him to fold on the river with these stack sizes because he doesn't beat anything. With 99 you could potentially get called by AQ, but I'd expect most regs to re-raise the flop while deep and OOP on this drawy board. I'd also expect AA and QQ to 3bet this flop, which means that his calling range on the river starts to get weighted toward flushes and most non-flush hands are likely to fold.

Having said all that, that's only against a player who you know well. At at anonymous table with a 50 hand sample on someone who appears to be very aggro (he's 3bet several times, cbet 90%, cbet in 3bet pots 100%) I think this is a clear value shove. For one, his range possibly includes two pairs like A9, A6, A8, but most importantly, you just don't know villain enough to be sure that he's not a station. He could always level himself into a call with Ax when he has such an aggro image. You have a set in a 3bet pot against a player who you don't know much about. Checking is a bit too weak. Shove and let him figure out what he wants to pay you off with.

I'd also note that it's important for you to be aware of your own image even at these anonymous games. If you've been active and maybe have been caught bluffing before then the river is an even clearer shove.

One point of your analysis that I disagree with is that you think villain won't have a flush after he check-calls the turn and checks the river. Check-calling a flush on the turn is imo the best line. Your range is still perceived to contain bluffs, many of which could fire the river, especially on a board changing card like another spade. You're also still likely to value shove sets. Check-calling the turn with a flush might lose some value against an AQ that checks river (if AQ bet/calls AI on the turn, which is likely but somewhat debatable), but against the entirety of button's range I think there's no reason to shove a flush.

Lastly, this is possibly inconsequential but I do prefer just putting villain all-in by betting $52 rather than shoving all-in yourself. Whether they know it or not, most players have a psychological response to seeing all your chips getting shoved in the middle. All-in just looks a little more threatening and dangerous compared to $52. Of course, I'm not saying that this is likely to make a huge difference in the chance villain calls, but it's still worth doing if it leads to a lighter call-down 1% of the time. Against a weak, recreational player I would often just bet $50 on the river and leave him with $1.11. I've found it increases their calling frequencies substantially. Weak players don't like the idea of losing all of their money in one hand. Leave him a buck to play a SNG!

MBML

Whilst it is MBML's first month as a professional hand judge, over the last years MBML has spent a lot of time in the strategy boards. He has always given a lot of help and support to members and generally his posts are spot on.

He hasn't allowed hand judging getting in the way of crushing the virtual felt and posted in his blog -> mbml's Zoom+Rush Blog: November Graph inside a pretty nice graph.

EmanuelC16

Emanuel recently became a coach with his premier series Knowing me, Knowing you after getting great acclaim we decided to add Emanuel to the hand evaluation team and his posts have been epic. We're really looking forward to more videos from Emanuel and we are all looking forward to him being a permanent fixture of the team for the foreseeable future.

imfromsweden

Yesterday we welcomed Oscar to the team in the number 1 spot in the advent calendar this year. Although IFS plays higher stakes, he has been getting into some very juicy discussions in the NL50 board and we are all looking forward to his game on Tuesday night against KTU.

Getdotacom

Forum favourite getdotacom has been a big part of the community posting everywhere and this month we convinced him to start as a hand evaluator.

Since the creation of the advanced discussion board, GDC has been posting some really interesting hands. Huge river raise vs trips

We look forward to more posts and more threads from one of the big heroes of the English community.

Pleno1

One of the main advocates being the discussion mentality of the forum, full time employee Patrick "pleno1" Leonard helps out in all of the different boards. His motto, "you can't win if you fold" echos through everybody's ears and he likes to reiterate his favourite equation whenever possible..

POSITION + INITIATIVE = PROFIT

lnternet

Posting exclusively in the NL100 and the no limit advanced forums, Paul "lnternet" Otto is clearly one of the big guns of teaching poker. Victorious against Insyder19 on Wednesday night, the German crusher will be playing in this weeks semi finals. With the backing of both the English and German community he is the favourite to win the championship.

Again his posts are usually very long, very informative and very good.

ctstc

German freelancer, ctstc has moved over to the English community and has full control of the MSS boards. An expert playing smaller stack sizes he gives very prompt and accurate replies. It's great to have him on the team and we're looking forward to the MSS team expanding in the short future.

Kaitz20

A true hand evaluation grinder. We often get guys coming and guys leaving because of real life problems or commitments. Kaitz has been a long term fixture on the boards. Initially in the higher stakes boards and now home in the smaller stakes board giving his experience and enthusiasm to our budding poker players. Great job again and we expect another solid year in 2013!

Kymupa

Comes from the Bulgarian community and is an expert in both MSS and BSS play. Expect to see very professional replies, talking about the whole hands and often making the posters think about different lines. Another new addition that we are very happy to have.

DeMarcohsp/Tomaloc

Two guys who post alot of hands themselves in the NL50 boards, they have learned alot from PokerStrategy.com legend Veriz. They are putting that knowledge back into the forum and do an absolutely amazing job. We expect big things from this duo in 2013 and we will certainly not be surprised if they are both regulars at mid stakes tables this time next year.
    • imfromsweden007
      imfromsweden007
      Bronze
      I got to be in on the very first number? Wiiiii :f_love:
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Pretty epic hand eval team :heart: Next years gonna be big :s_thumbsup:
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by imfromsweden007
      I got to be in on the very first number? Wiiiii :f_love:
      Oscar, shiiiiiiiip it tomorrow!!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      Pretty epic hand eval team :heart: Next years gonna be big :s_thumbsup:
      This :)
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze

Happy Monday guys! :heart:

Today's challenge will be to spot the difference! I went to the education team to see how the poker school got on. As they are such a photogenic bunch I decided to take a couple of snaps..

Picture 1
      darkonebg, pleno1, SvenBe, Melvin, KTU, imfromsweden007, Julien

Boys will be boys and the guys decided to mix things up on picture 2 :D

Picture 2
      darkonebg, pleno1, SvenBe, Melvin, KTU, imfromsweden007, Julien

How to enter: Email me with the differences you've spotted and I will post a list on Monday night with the finalists of the raffle.

Whoever gets the answer right will be entered into a raffle that I will video raffle personally where you can win a PokerStrategy.com goodie bag full of with never seen behind the scene SEcReTs!
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      haha this is so fun..I used to do those in the newspaper all the time.....;) Sent you an email!! ty pokerstrategy :D
    • Saren113
      Saren113
      Bronze
      Who are the taller one melvin or Imfromsweden =D ??!
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Saren113
      Who are the taller one melvin or Imfromsweden =D ??!
      Probably Patrick, that's why he is always sitting in pics :f_biggrin:
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Where are all these pictures of me!!?!
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      I've received several emails already, awesome answers so far, keep them coming guys! :D :heart:
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pleno1
      Where are all these pictures of me!!?!
      The IFS vs pleno1 in the INAUGURAL HU championship and on FB. :f_biggrin: