Can anyone please explain me this example if you please?

• parispanayi
      parispanayi
      Bronze
      8.1. Hand 1: OESD in the early stages

Chip stacks:
      Button (t1500)
      Hero (t1500)
      BB (t1500)
      UTG (t1500)
      UTG+1 (t1500)
      MP1 (t1500)
      MP2 (t1500)
      MP3 (t1500)
      CO (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, K.
      UTG calls t20, 2 folds, MP2 calls t20, 3 folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t80) 5, T, J (4 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, UTG bets t60, MP2 calls t60, Hero calls t60.

Commentary:
      On the flop hero holds an OESD, so 8 outs. That means that he will complete his straight on the turn 17% of the time. The odds are thus 6:1. Hero must call t60 in a pot of t200, which is 3:1. In most cases, against 3 opponents, he can discount the A and 9 from his outs, because they are likely to complete a flush for one of the opponents. Because of this one can only count 6-7 outs. In this case, Hero will hit his draw approximately 1 in 7 times on the turn. However, the 60 chips only represent a fraction of Hero's stack, and he can easily win more when he hits, so a call is in order here.

And this?

8.2. Hand 2: Flush draw in the early stages

Chip stacks:
      MP2 (t1740)
      CO (t5705)
      Button (t1340)
      SB (t345)
      BB (t1430)
      UTG (t1470)
      Hero (t1470)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A, K.
      1 fold, Hero raises to t90, 4 folds, BB calls t60.

Flop: (t195) Q, 3, 4 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets t120, BB raises to t1340, Hero ?

Commentary:
      In most cases the opponent has at least top pair. If he has QJs, for example, Hero is a slight favourite, at 52:48. In the best case scenario where the opponent has only top pair with the queen, Hero can count the flush draw, ace and king toward his outs, which makes a total of 14, meaning he is a 52% favourite. This means that it would be profitable to go all-in if his opponent never did this with a better hand than top pair. This is not the case however, so Hero must fold.

Thank you so much!!
  • 5 replies
    • Sai7
      Sai7
      Bronze
      Its kinda hard to tell your hands, please use a different hand converter? Strange that this one doesn't show suits.
      Anyway,
      In hand 1, i'd raise preflop. As played, i think check/call is fine. Check/fold is ok too, but like you said, the call is only 60, and if you hit your straight the implied odds could be huge, particularly if its the Ace that flops.

In hand 2, easy fold imo. No sense in putting the chips into such a marginal situation. By your calculations [which i assume to be correct since i cant see suits], there's really no need to go in if you are at BEST a coin flip this early in a tournament.
    • JD888
      JD888
      Bronze
      I'd say that these hands aren't his own but out of a book.
      I don't really know what you want to know there's everything explained in the commentary isn't it ?

@Sai7: you shouldn't raise KQ out of SB in the first stage(s) of a sng
    • parispanayi
      parispanayi
      Bronze
      i didnt understand why it should be CALL on the first example and FOLD on the second...Can u help me understand please?
    • JD888
      JD888
      Bronze
      you are forced to go all-in on a flush draw and 2 overcards in the second example.. not a good idea in the early stages
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      on the first hand its an easy call, on the turn u can call again if given the correct pot odds as you're not risking your whole stack.

The 2nd hand you have to fold, the chances of you hitting a flush are about 1:4 from the flop to the turn, and 1:2 from the flop to the river, the pot is about 300 chips before your opponent bet so calling an extra 1200 chips is not worth it in the longrun