Can traffic be taxed

• VaceMk
      VaceMk
      Bronze
      Hey guys

I made a deposit on Poker Stars from my country (Macedonia) where i dont care about tax and stuff cuz its a crap country and have no laws about gambling and shit,anyway im curently visiting a friend in Sweden and he is not allowing me to play poker at his place because he is afraid of tax control.I am not going to deposit or withdraw money there im just going to play,can they tax him just for the traffic.
  • 7 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey i'm really not 100% sure of the laws on this so wouldn't like to advise you incase i'm wrong. Best thing to do would be to contact Stars and say you are visiting Sweden and would like to know if you can play. As for the laws in Sweden your friend will know more apart from that i suggest maybe asking in a local government office or waiting until someone from Sweden comes along to answer in this thread :)

Regards
      Carl
    • pucilpet
      pucilpet
      Bronze
      I don't know about the exact situation in Sweden but to me it seems absurd that one would be taxed for traffic.

What do you mean by this? Your friend will be taxed in relation to the traffic sent to the poker site?
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Just because you aren't concerned about the grey area status of poker does not mean your friend shouldn't be. Certainly there are places where you can get affordable internet access in Sweden that won't implicate your friend?

If you actually believe this issue is about the laws of Sweden then you really need to work on your people skills. :f_mad:
    • PxKx
      PxKx
      Bronze
      I'm from the Swedish section of pokerstrategy.

There are no taxes on playing poker at pokerstars from Sweden according to pokerstars.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PxKx
      I'm from the Swedish section of pokerstrategy.

There are no taxes on playing poker at pokerstars from Sweden according to pokerstars.
      Thank you sir :)

So your friend shouldn't get taxed for you playing there. However if he doesn't want you to use his PC for this maybe you should respect that and try and find another way to play that you are both happy with :)
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by VaceMk
      Hey guys

I made a deposit on Poker Stars from my country (Macedonia) where i dont care about tax and stuff cuz its a crap country and have no laws about gambling and shit,anyway im curently visiting a friend in Sweden and he is not allowing me to play poker at his place because he is afraid of tax control.I am not going to deposit or withdraw money there im just going to play,can they tax him just for the traffic.
      OK, so it seems that you aren't taxed for traffic in Sweden.

However, some ISPs charge for bandwidth -- maybe that is what he meant.

There are a couple of other thoughts though.

There has recently been a thread in this forum where a player let a friend log in from his computer, and Pokerstars security noticed that two logins had logged on from that IP address. I don't know how that worked out in the end, but the poster in that case was banned from pokerstars at least temporarily.

The other is etiquette. In your friends house just say "OK" and do like he says.
    • pucilpet
      pucilpet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F

However, some ISPs charge for bandwidth -- maybe that is what he meant.

I've noticed that traffic is minimal when playing poker. Less than regular web browsing.