Nice hands, no profit. Junk hands, the nutz! Does it happen to you?

• Patapio
      Patapio
      Bronze
      It happens to me a lot in tournaments. Anyway just posting to see anyones insight about it.

I get delted really nice top hands and no profit... it doesn't hit or I get some cooler or whatwever miracle cards on the river cracks me. And then I fold junk hands, obiously, and I would have had the nutz or at least the best hand considering the hole cards involved. Even more: I get delted top top hands after have seen in the previous hand that I would have had the winner hand: It's like a feeling of certitude, this hand won't work, and it doesn't.

Does it happens to you? It's so annoying, it makes me lose patience.
  • 5 replies
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      sounds like stars to me.

I've just lost 2p vs inside str8 draw.

Time to cry myself to sleep again :rolleyes:

I'm working on some ranges though meanwhile :D
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Of course it happens. It's part of the game.

It's important to just get over that though, and try to keep playing well. If you find yourself getting fed up with things like this, you may have to work a bit on your mental game a bit, which is very important to do!

I completely agree it sucks if you only pick up the blinds with your AA, or your KK run into a runner-runner straight when you flop top set, but stuff like that happens! It's part of the game, and you should just get over it when that happens. It's okay to get a bit disappointed when it happens, as long as you can flip a (mental) switch to immediately play well afterwards, and pretty much just forgetting about what just happened.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      In general it's due to selective recognition and missing sample size. You will always remember these kind of hands but forget about the ones that worked the way they should.

Even the best hands won't have 100% equity and therefore you will lose from time to time while playing them. Longterm you will win these hands for sure.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      This is just the nature of tournaments. One tends to remember the hand when one gets busted the most. The hands before that fade in memory. If you are tight, then, almost by definition, you are likely to go out versus a weaker starting hand. To win 25-30 flips, and scoop a tournament, then you have to be very very lucky, even if you happen to be way ahead before the flop each time.

In the early phases, in tournaments with better fields, then you can expect to be played back at by people holding speculative hands on draw heavy boards. Hands like unimproved QQ and the like tend to win small pots, and lose the big ones.

Just busted myself. Raised it up with TT, flop is T93 with two diamonds. Get check-raised all in by QT of diamonds, and the river comes a diamond. These things happen, and the QTs hand owner played it perfectly.

The only thing you can do (except to whine a little bit) is to get your chips in with positive EV. After that, it is up to the cards. You should be grateful for that, because if it wasn't up to the cards, both you, me, and John Doe, would be without a chance to win versus even better players than us.

Edit: And, of course, Asaban got before me :)

In general it's due to selective recognition and missing sample size. You will always remember these kind of hands but forget about the ones that worked the way they should.
      /Johan = :f_confused:
    • Patapio
      Patapio
      Bronze
      Yep, definitely some mental workout. My main mistakes on these situations are due to lose patince or simply don't believe anymore it's possible to go on because I lost the opportunity.

But lol it sux.

Regards