How do you find out if you're a fish or a shark or just an avarage guy who floats on the 0 line?

• Rahica
      Rahica
      Bronze
      Hi guys ! I won't tell you my whole life story because I don't want to bore anybody. I've been playing poker from 2004, but I've started playing seriously in 2010 when I had $0.30 in my account and I've won some money in the $0.10 tournaments and I ended up having $10. I started playing NL2 and in about a month I had $80. I've played an MTT of $2 and ended up finishing 8th, winning $80, so my bankroll was $160. After, the ZOOM era started, I started playing NL5 and NL10 my winnings were going up and down for a couple of months now. I've managed to grind to NL10 where I had 2 very good days of super-sessions last week in which I've won almost $200. I've managed to lose them In about a week and my roll is down to about $190. Last hand that I've played, I've lost the biggest pot of my online "career" ( $42 ) playing stupid.

I mention that I have an account on Titan Poker as well attached to pokerstrategy.com and from the $50 I've managed to go up playing NL10 Speed Poker there having a bankroll of $250 now. I tried some shots in NL25 but didn't end up to well ( and anyway, I didn't play there regularly, maybe 3-4 times ).

I don't know if I'm on a downswing but I am pretty much sure that I started playing bad because I can't manage to hit flops lately. I will stop playing for a couple of days and I will drop down again to NL5 ZOOM, trying to grind back up there, searching to be a NL10 regular again.

I want to mention that I've downloaded HM2 and the software rates me somewhere between an ABC player and a TAG, pending a sample of almost 7k hands played in almost a day.

For a while I was thinking that I am in the top 5% of the NL10 but now my morale is down on the ground somewhere and I not in the mood of playing anymore, but I still do. I think I've overcharged my "poker schedule" and I am playing too much.

So my question is: Is it normal to stay in one limit that long? If you play good, your bankroll should go up and you can change the limits but to me, this just doesn't happen so I'm thinking that I have a problem. I am thinking of quitting as well and stop wasting my time with this, find myself a different hobby.

My second question is: how do you know that if you're a fish, a shark or just another guy stuck in the micros for the rest of his life?:)

Sorry but I couldn't be short on this one and I've told you all my life story now:) .
      Any opinions, ideas or invitation to a study group or to a psychiatrist would be welcome !

Thank you for your patience of reading all this and for any help that you can provide ! P.S. My nickname on Stars is Lakatherinka if you need to check me out.
  • 12 replies
    • vuciitis
      vuciitis
      Bronze
      duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude! ofc its normal to stay long on 1 limit... every limit brings many new things which u have to learn to beat it. u cant expect climbing through like a rocket. i think its way than normal to stay like 2-3 years on micros by playing cople times a week... and only then take shots to NL10+ how can u play NL25 with 10-15 BUI in bank roll, thats not soo smart u know...
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      If you think you're playing too much, there's one very simple solution: play less! If playing as much as you do makes your winrate go down, then you're clearly just playing too much. Also, if you get tilted a bit by simply not hitting flops etc., just consider stopping your session early! There's nothing worse than playing when you're on tilt (even if only slightly), because it simply costs you money.

As for your questions, sure it's normal to stay on certain limits for a longer period of time. You can't expect to get things done within a matter of weeks/months unless you grind and grind and grind and grind and grind, which most people simply don't have the time and/or skill level for. So if you have trouble moving up over a long period of time, maybe there's certain aspects of your game that need improvement. Always start with looking at yourself, see what you're doing wrong, and improve on that. It's easy to blame things on a 'downswing', but very often are to be blamed yourself!

So don't worry about staying on a limit for a longer time. It's normal. Just see if there's things about your game that you can improve that can help you increase your winrate :)

As for your second question, that is completely up to you! If you spend enough time studying the game and applying the theory whilst playing, you should certainly be able to get out of the micro limits. However, you should take this studying seriously. If you don't study well, you won't improve your game. If you're not motivated to improve your game, you might want to reconsider whether this is the right game for you :)

Hope this is helpful! :)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      +1 TinoLaan, thank you for that epic post :)
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Just glad I could help! :)
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey Rahica

So my question is: Is it normal to stay in one limit that long? If you play good, your bankroll should go up and you can change the limits but to me, this just doesn't happen so I'm thinking that I have a problem. I am thinking of quitting as well and stop wasting my time with this, find myself a different hobby.

My second question is: how do you know that if you're a fish, a shark or just another guy stuck in the micros for the rest of his life?
      Q1) Yes. How many hands have you played overall at your current limit? Some people like to play at least 100k hands at a limit before they think about moving up, some want to move up faster and go as soon as their bankroll is healthy enough. I also think you should have a play around with HM2 and instead of just looking to see how it rates you try and use it to its full potential. Create a HUD optimal for what you need and most important use HM2 to post hands in our hand evaluation section after every session :)

Q2) This answer is dependent on how hard you want to work. If you are willing to put in the effort and do whatever it takes to be a winning player then you will be a shark someday it might take a long time and a lot of hard work but it will come. If you want to sit back and enjoy the game and not improve yourself you will always be a fish im afraid. So you controll the answer to this question :)
    • Rahica
      Rahica
      Bronze
      I played around 50k hands give or take in NL10. I don't know if it's true or not but I used to play every day, minimum 3 hours and maximum 12 hours of Nl10 Zoom on stars. After a while I've noticed how I lost my interest and pleasure in playing the game and I just do it for the money like a robot. Maybe I should have a maximum hand no. per day... For the moment I took a break and haven't played since yesterday. Tx for the answers !
    • abhi147
      abhi147
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Rahica
      I played around 50k hands give or take in NL10. I don't know if it's true or not but I used to play every day, minimum 3 hours and maximum 12 hours of Nl10 Zoom on stars. After a while I've noticed how I lost my interest and pleasure in playing the game and I just do it for the money like a robot. Maybe I should have a maximum hand no. per day... For the moment I took a break and haven't played since yesterday. Tx for the answers !
      You desperately need a break
      Trust me a break does wonders to your game

I recently went for a tour for live poker and we played 5 days of non stop poker tournament and cash games
      After I returned I've hardly played poker just feel so bored of it. And when I did try to play in the middle I'd just wish it'll be over or wish I'll be eliminated so I can do something else.
      It seems like an overdose of poker

This happened to me even the previous time I went for a live tour
      And I was so fresh after the break

Just take a break. Say 5 days of no poker even though you feel like playing.
      And web you start again you will regain your focus and enthusiasm
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by abhi147
      Originally posted by Rahica
      You desperately need a break
      Trust me a break does wonders to your game

I recently went for a tour for live poker and we played 5 days of non stop poker tournament and cash games
      After I returned I've hardly played poker just feel so bored of it. And when I did try to play in the middle I'd just wish it'll be over or wish I'll be eliminated so I can do something else.
      It seems like an overdose of poker

This happened to me even the previous time I went for a live tour
      And I was so fresh after the break

Just take a break. Say 5 days of no poker even though you feel like playing.
      And web you start again you will regain your focus and enthusiasm

+1 from me :)

Playing for the sake of playing is never a good idea and yet I think we all do it far too often or at least I do it far too often!
    • Rahica
      Rahica
      Bronze
      I think I will prepare myself a schedule of playing poker, like a maximum number of hands per day. I just gotta find the right number, right before I begin to lose my focus and "game hunger". And this might be my biggest leak. I always seem to win a lot and after play just for the sake of playing and lost it all slowly.

@everybody I am still in my poker break for 3 days now and I don't feel the need of playing yet. I will start doing that when the word "poker" starts sounding interesting again:) . Thank you for all your help !

@abhi47 Your message was an eye opener dude ! Thanks a lot !
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Another thing you can think about doing is some exercise and healthy eating (if you don't already) this can seriously improve your attention span :)

Read more as well as some other great tips in the productivity guide in my sig under this post :)
    • Rahica
      Rahica
      Bronze
      @ExternalUseOnly I think this is the greatest advice that you can get, poker and life related. Working out is very important and I know it, even if I don't do it:) . I work a lot and in the night time and I like to use that as an excuse because I am too lazy:) . My healthy eating level is 7/10. Thank you for the advice ! I was already thinking about it for a while now..:) ))
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      No problem :)

You should still read the productivity guide anyway as it will help you learn a lot about yourself and how you can improve yourself in all areas i've learnt a huge amount from reading through it!