Flop: ($3) 7 4 9 (3 players)
      SB bets $3, BB folds, Hero calls $3

Turn: ($9) 9 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($9) T (2 players)
      SB bets $9, Hero calls $9

Anon table.

SB played 42/34 after 70 hands, AFq 45.

Preflop I should have opened 1,5$ with loose players in the blinds...

Flop? Raise/broke? He can have sets/twopairs, but I dominate other draws.
      Turn bet? River?
  • 1 reply
    • mbml
      Hi pcf.

Flop: When considering the option of going broke, think of things you can dominate.

To give you an example, let's say a particular villain 3bets a 50% range preflop, but he only 5bets with AJ+/88+ and folds everything else. 4betting KQ and calling it off here could be +EV, but is it the best play? When we get all the money in, we are not ahead of any part of his range. We are flipping at best. So our main profit comes from the dead money in the pot.

Amt of Dead Money: Now for this particular hand, you could apply the same concept. Firstly, is the pot really big? if the pot were big, the main profit from our play would be to take down the pot immediately. It's 3way but still a single-raised pot.

Fold Equity: He pots in a 3way pot. I think he seems really strong. Raising seems less appealing and we have less fold equity I think.

Domination: Would villain donk and stack off on the Flop with worse draws? If the answer is no, we probably should think of calling instead. A hand like Ah2h would be better for raising than a hand like AhTh because we block combodraws like JhTh and Th8h which are combodraws which may donk/3bet the Flop. We crush those hands really hard.

How often is our Ace out clean? I think we would be up against KK/QQ/JJ a lot if let's say BB 3bets us. Then we have ~40%. But in this situation, I don't think people are pot leading the Flop with 9X and then stacking off. We are probably up against a strong made hand like 97s or sets really often. I prefer calling here.

Turn: I would just bet the Turn and try to rep a 9. Of course if he checkraises I think he would have a boat really often.

River: It's kind of hard to say. His bet sizing doesn't make too much sense unless he has 68 or J8 which are hands which could bluff the Flop. Not sure if hero/calling here is too good of a play. He could also have TT some small % of the time (stacks are deep so he may not 3bet TT). Or maybe T8? but would T8 and JT pot the River? It doesn't seem like a good idea to me (unless he knows u bluff catch with 7X and Ace high).

I think I would fold just because the T is a coordinating card.