Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has 6:spade: 6:heart:

fold, fold, CO raises to $0.30, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.65, 2 players) T:heart: 4:diamond: T:diamond:
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.45, 2 players) 7:heart:
      Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($1.45, 2 players) K:club:
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.10, Hero calls $1.10

Hero mucks 6:spade: 6:heart: (Two Pair, Tens and Sixes) (Pre 52%, Flop 71%, Turn 80%)
      CO shows A:spade: K:spade: (Two Pair, Kings and Tens) (Pre 48%, Flop 29%, Turn 20%)
      CO wins $3.41

Villain is fairly unknown, but seemed fairly solid at first glance.

Can we bluff catch here? I think he can bet many Ax hands here as well as busted draws when I show weakness on both the flop, turn and river. At least I'm sure he doesn't have a T, because he would've bet a T on the turn. 7x also seems unlikely, because he didn't seem to loose, so I guess he could only really have 87s or 76s here, really. It would make sense to check those back. But I don't really expect him to value bet such hands on the river.

So while it's possible he hit the king on the river, I decided he could have some sort of better pair than mine, but could also easily have worse hands that he would just like to scoop the pot with. So I called.

Without too many reads, is this fine? Or should we consider betting the turn to take it down immediately?
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      Hi Tino,

One of the problems we have with bluffcatching hands like this is that most of the holdings he has (that aren't better than us) have 2 overcards plus backdoors usually. So that means, that on two streets he still have 25-35% equity. I personally preflop to let the hand go on this flop OOP.

Considering the limit and how most players play (he is unknown) I tend to give them more credit on the river bet. It's true that he could bluff here some hands because of the scare card but most people check back pairs and Ax there.
    • confidant91
      Hi, i would bet turn for protection of draws and over cards.
    • Philfox1985
      Hi, i would bet turn for protection of draws and over cards.

Then why not chk / raise the flop?

This hand is interesting largely as it highlights the difficulty of playing OOP. There isn't going to be any really 'easy' way to play the hand, which is why folding the flop could be an option.

If it was me, I find it hard to fold on this flop as it is unlikely to have hit his range too well. Its fairly likely we are ahead.

Problems come on the turn, as I know that while he may have missed the flop, there are lots of cards he could hit to improve. If he second barrels I think that I can only call if its a non-diamond & non-broardway card.

On the river the same applies, but I will now call diamonds if he checked the turn as it seems unlikely that he would just check back his draw on the turn.

Really we just hope that he checks to showdown - not the best plan!!