Research

• muumionu
      muumionu
      Bronze
      Hello everybody!

I'm doing a research about positive and negative things about playing poker for living. So anybody who is playing poker for living I'd appreciate it if you'd answer to the following questions. Thank you!

1. How did you get into poker?

2. What are the things people should consider before starting playing poker professionally?

3. What benefits does poker have compared to most other jobs?

4. About how long does it take for an average person to start making living with poker?

5. What do you like most about poker?

6. Have you considered doing anything else but poker? Why?

7. What are the bad sides of being a poker player?
  • 6 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey muumionu,

This thread is more suited to the Small Talk board so I've moved it there now :)

A friend of mine

2. What are the things people should consider before starting playing poker professionally?

Winrate, Mindset, Bankroll, Experience, Management Skills

Well you get to choose when you want to play. You don't have to deal with other people face-to-face.

4. About how long does it take for an average person to start making living with poker?

A long time for most people I would say - 2 years average.

The mind games, the meta games, the thinking behind moves, the game itself. Gamblin' it up!

Nah, been playing for almost 5 years and couldn't turn to something else now.

The variance, the bad-beats, the sitting in a tournament for x amount of time and finishing 2 places outside the payout! The anti-social side.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze

Friends played it

Having enough savings for 6 months of living + preferrably some other streams of income

I think that poker is more similar to a business than a job. It has pretty similar benefits than other businesses.

Depends on the starting bankroll, talent, approach, how much time they put in it...

It's fun to play cards

Yes, I do many other things as having multiple streams of income is awesome.

People tend to forget about other areas of their lives and focus only on getting more money, which actually makes poker a job for them and destroys their social life.
    • muumionu
      muumionu
      Bronze
      Thanks Schnitzelfisch and HollyMichelle, need about 3 more people to answer.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Think i saw some late night poker show when i came home drunk one night and then googled poker and clicked the first link :D

Are they as good as they think they are, do they have enough money set aside incase it doesn't go as planned, can they handle the mental pressure of needing to win to live and the mental side of the game

Be your own boss, choose your hours, working alone, freedom

No idea, different for everyone i don't think there is an "average player" each player will put a different amount of time and effort into playing and improving so its completely dependent on that

It's fun :)

Sure, i think its more considered other things AS WELL AS poker instead of just choosing one thing. The more incomes the better right?

The negative stigma that goes with it, You tell people you play poker they insta stereotype you as some degen gambling addict. Also when young it's hard to get your family to understand they don't see it as a hobby or a way to make money they think you are wasting your life gambling every cent you have.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      My friend played online and I just sort of had a go.

Bankroll management, skill level, fallback income, mindset.

It's analytical. Also, just going through the motions won't work often, like just turning up for a usual job.

4. About how long does it take for an average person to start making a living with poker?
      Not easy to answer, demographics and lifestyle choices make a difference as well. I don't think the average player can make a living at poker, it takes too much commitment.

Money for doing nothing except sitting around at a pc, not exactly Sulphur mining is it?

6. I have done a lot of things so this is just another pastime.

If tilty/losing we can take our frustrations out on our nearest and dearest if not careful.
      Losing always sucks.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold

Rounders

Patience, self control, discipline and good control on temper should be some qualities a person has. A decent bankroll and some money kept aside for about 6 months or a years expense.

Possibility of making a moving up the ladder much quickly and making a lot more money in a relatively shorter period of time. In a entry level job a person might take upto 2 years to get 1 or max 2 promotions, in poker a guy can go from micros to upper mid stakes in 2 years.

I'd say about 2 years but depends on standard of living and country you're living in. Usually it should take 2 years to reach mid stakes which should be good to make a living in most countries.

That its a game I can make a living out of.

A job in investment management leading up to portfolio management. I like to be a in a role where I am responsible for wealth creation and where the outcome of success or money earnt is dependent on my decisions.

Can affect social life to quite an extent. A lot of added stress if not handled carefully. Health issues if a routine isn't followed and a routine could be ignored when grinding for long periods of time.