[NL20-NL50] NL50 FR - QQ on UTG+2

• AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $67.79 (135.6 bb)
      BB: $32 (64 bb)
      Hero (UTG+2): $50 (100 bb)
      MP1: $83.64 (167.3 bb)
      MP2: $53.42 (106.8 bb)
      MP3: $47.25 (94.5 bb)
      CO: $28 (56 bb)
      BTN: $58.89 (117.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with Q Q
      Hero raises to $1.75, 3 folds, CO calls $1.75, BTN folds, SB calls $1.50, BB folds

Flop: ($5.75) 6 K 3 (3 players)
      SB bets $2, Hero calls $2, CO folds

Turn: ($9.75) 8 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $4.61, SB calls $4.61

River: ($18.97) 5 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Results:
      $18.97 pot ($1.04 rake)
      Final Board: 6 K 3 8 5
      SB showed 3 3 and won $17.93 ($9.57 net)
      Hero mucked Q Q and lost (-$8.36 net)

Stats: VPIP: 36, PFR: 10, 3B: 1, AF: 2,2, Hands: 200

I call his donk because it's small and it could mean anything, from nuts to Kx to 6x to FD.
      He checks on the turn on the 3rd suit, I decide to float even though he's a poor player, therefore less inclined to fold (but usually they are really scared by flushes).
      Doesn't work, I give up.

Thoughts?
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I think flop call is fine. On the turn I think you can potentially bet bigger for value. He is rather fishy so he can have a hand like Ad6, Ad8, 77d, 99d, TTd, JJd.

I doubt he plays ALL the nut hands in his range like this. I think he check/raises some. Apart from that bigger turn bet I think it's fine. On the river you have enough showdown value and he is very unlikely to fold anything better imo.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      mehh disagree here :(

villain is rly passive and leads in 3w pot. even a draw had good eq and there is still some left to act. Just fold to his donkbet imo

on the turn we can't really vbet. he will have a tough time with 6x even. I think he also can play a flush like that and def many kx. I prefer pot control as played
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Farmarchist
      mehh disagree here :(

villain is rly passive and leads in 3w pot. even a draw had good eq and there is still some left to act. Just fold to his donkbet imo

on the turn we can't really vbet. he will have a tough time with 6x even. I think he also can play a flush like that and def many kx. I prefer pot control as played
      He is not that passive. He has 2.2AF, that's quite average. Fishy players like to bet to see where they are at.

Regarding the second thing, you can't pot control ( pot control is usually when you hate being check/raised with equity or you can induce bluffs) because your hand cannot bluffcatch rivers anyway. It's not like you check back QdQ and bluffcatch all diamonds. You are behind against a flush and Kx anyway so if you bet now for thin value you put in the same amount as when bluffcatching river. The biggest problem is your hand won't improve either way so you have to decide when you can get the value. It's obviously thin but I think it is there.. SB can have SOME flushes but not all because he doesn't always donk flushdraws and not to mention check when he makes his hand. I would mostly be worried about Kx here but that also checks flop quite often so most often he has that sort of mediocre hand that wanted to see where it stands.

The best hands he can have here that beat us on the turn are usually 66 and 33 that don't always lead flop/check turn. He probably splits about 50/50 so he has 3 set combos that lead. Compared to the midpair+draw stuff it's OK to call flop and value bet thinly on the turn imo.