Introducing the shitbird

• 7 replies
    • Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'm not sure how many people you're going to find who gave up on poker on this specific forum (I don't think they're sticking around).
      Nevertheless, I feel like you shouldn't completely give up on playing real money poker, after all it seems you're enjoying the freerolls and intend to get better at poker.
      And if that's the case, you might as well start improving by beating your first obstacle, which is having a bad mentality.

I could recommend to read books or could try to convience you that sites aren't rigged, but you probably wouldn't believe me.
      But what I can say to try to change your mind is that you shouldn't think about sites being rigged or not simply because there are proven winners in poker so it doesn't really matter.

You should start ignoring the things which you can't control (variance, riggedness :D ) and focus on the things you can control otherwise you might as well stop palying poker because you're not going to improve anytime soon.

If you don't mind me asking, how much hands you played online so far?
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Robbie825
      I am a freeroller because I had too much bad luck in the real money games. My wish was to become a good pokerplayer, but I gave up on that. I am 100% convinced that online poker is rigged. Nevertheless I play freerolls. For me the only safe way to play poker.
      Hi robbie825,
      Well, congratulations on having the guts to quit playing for real money.

If you are truly "100% convinced that online poker is rigged", then it is the only sensible thing to do. Unless of course it is rigged in your favour.

There are two things that a poker player holds as articles of faith.
      1.  Luck evens out in the long run.
      2.  The house plays fair.

If you do not have absolute faith in both of those propositions, then you are not playing poker, you are being taken for a ride.

Even if luck evens out in the long run, there is no guarantee that you will start out on an upswing.
      If you start on a downswing, there is no way to tell how long it will last, nor how deep it will go. Even with a 100 BI bankroll, there is no guarantee that it will last.

Now, having said all that, it sounds more to me that you have a confidence problem. As Tarhonya pointed out, the way to cure that is to study, so that you know what you are doing at the table, and that every raise, bet, call or fold is made for a logical, pre-determined purpose.

Doing this will build a skill edge. If you do not have a skill edge, then you will be a long term loser, since rake takes x% of every pot. Luck evens out in the long run, right?

If you DO have a skill edge, then in the long run you will be a winning player.
      Yes, you.

Freerolls are tougher than other tournaments, simply because the players are so unpredictable. I play freerolls a fair bit too, but I also play micro cash games.

Regards,
      --VS
    • Robbie825
      Robbie825
      Silver
      Thank you for your posts!

I have been playing poker now for four years, and off and on I played for real money.

As you can see I am a freeroller only. How can I improve my game?

I also tried cashgames, and that means losing only for me. How can I improve that?

In freerolls I gathered 300 dollars, but for some reason my modest winnings have stopped. What do I do wrong?

Did the players all improve or did I get worse?

The fact that I think that online poker is rigged is mainly based on the trouble in the past with PokerStars and Full Tilt Poker. Of course, when you do not play well yourself, that feeling only gets stronger.

Since a new year is coming up, I want to do everything better, so also the game of poker.

What site is best for me to play on to really improve my game?

Thanks for your answers.

Kind regards.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      As you can see I am a freeroller only. How can I improve my game?

Study, patience and practice.

Freerolls are really tough because people play wildly. This make them unpredictable, and as such you have no logical defence

You improve your cash games the same way.
      On each hand evaluate villain's position, bet size against your table position and so on.

Take the beginner's course -- it is all in there.

You got lucky once, twice -- or several times -- and won 300 in freerolls.

Variance is huge in freerolls. In other words, luck is a huge factor.

Check out Choose the right poker video for you! for ideas on which poker room would be best to play at.

You will improve at any of them, if you put out the effort to do so, with an attitude that you CAN do it.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      Sup man maybe you know me. In the poker world im known as the Lard Sparrow
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by ihufa
      Sup man maybe you know me. In the poker world im known as the Lard Sparrow
      You owe me. I just ruptured something laughing.
    • Robbie825
      Robbie825
      Silver