Value betting

• boozaf
      boozaf
      Bronze
      Hi

I've just bought a multi-tabling software and I would like to know if 66,6%, 60% and 55% are good value bets for flop, turn and river respectively or should I keep every street at 66,6% and change at will depending on the situation, opponent, etc.?

• 13 replies
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      well that just purely depends on board texture, villain's range and his tendencies
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Do you mean continuation betting, not value betting?

A value bet is when you bet to get value from a weaker hand, so you should not be doing this only 66% of the time, it should be almost 100% of the time, exception being when you flop quads and need to let your opponent to catch up. :f_biggrin:

Generally, you should not be continuation betting into big multiway pots without a real hand. On the other hand against one opponent on a dry board its usually good to cbet 1/2 pot almost all the time.

Also it matters whether its Heads Up, 6max or Full Ring and also whether cash game or SnG. As well as this it matters on the table and opponent.

As with all things poker, the answer that no one wants to hear but is always true is, it's always situational :f_biggrin:
    • boozaf
      boozaf
      Bronze
      Thanks for the answers : )

I know it's always situational, I just wanted a standard value bet size for each street.

I've seen that the value bet size tends to diminish for each street. Again, I'm talking about value bets and not protection bets, bluff bets and so on.

o.o
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      i use 50 65 80 now.

half pot cbets on flop are useful, 65% on wetter textures. 80% on really wet textures or when i barrel Turn and River and i need larger bets.

i don't put 100% cos I can just type the number in myself without having to do mental sums.
    • boozaf
      boozaf
      Bronze
      So you actually bet MORE by each passing street.

Do you do that for any particular reason (like trying to get all-in by the river, for instance)?

Also... is this for FR and SH or just one of them?
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Thanks guys :)
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by boozaf

Do you do that for any particular reason (like trying to get all-in by the river, for instance)?

Also... is this for FR and SH or just one of them?
      Hey :)

If we are betting for value we want to get the most we can out of an opponent right? So if we decrease the bets on each street (dependent on some things obv) we are only losing value. Also by the river (at least this is the case when im playing PLO) i'm always betting pot or close to the pot because a guy that will call 3/4 is going to call pot size too by this stage (at least in the micros)

Regards
      Carl
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Gold
      Value betting isn't just betting big for *value* it's about putting your opponent on a range and betting whatever bet you think he will call the most given his range.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Yeh but thats what i meant by dependent on some things. If every time we are betting for value we decrease the bet we will lose value in a lot of spots imo, at micros and against unknowns anyway. (I don't know what OP is playing but generally at micros it doesn't matter if you bet 50% or 90% on the river and you can soon make notes on those who aren't)
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      I don't think he means that. He has just 3 buttons 1 for 50% 1 for 65% and 1 for 80%. Depending on board texture, villain.... he's going to decide which one to pick.

Regards
      RasTweet
    • boozaf
      boozaf
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RasTweet
      I don't think he means that. He has just 3 buttons 1 for 50% 1 for 65% and 1 for 80%. Depending on board texture, villain.... he's going to decide which one to pick.

Regards
      RasTweet
      Oh... that makes much more sense... :P

I guess the multi-tabler I bought doesn't have that 'button feature' (tableninja).
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey boozaf!

I'm not sure which features tableninja does or doesn't have, but I can't imagine you get set up different bet sizes.

But someone else has to help you out with this. I do the old point and click game of poker :f_biggrin:

RasTweet
    • boozaf
      boozaf
      Bronze
      Tableninja's got a fixed bet size per round to set up, but doesn't add any buttons with fixed values so you could choose a fixed ammount to bet independently of the round you're at.