[NL20-NL50] NL25 - position play gets me into trouble

• Crox1710
      Crox1710
      Bronze
      Could a mod move this to general No Limit (or beginners) please? Posted in wrong section.

Poker Stars $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 2024593
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

SB: $9.25
      BB: $30.33
      UTG: $13.15
      CO: $23.55
      Hero (BTN): $18.05

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero is BTN with K :spade: T :spade:
      1 fold, CO raises to $0.75, Hero calls $0.75, 2 folds

Flop: ($1.85) 7 :diamond: 5 :diamond: 7 :heart: (2 players)
      CO bets $1.25, Hero calls $1.25

Turn: ($4.35) 9 :diamond: (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $3, CO calls $3

River: ($10.35) 2 :heart: (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $7, CO calls $7

This flop is unlikely to have helped villain, so decide to call his c-bet and then try to steal on the turn. Probably fold to another raise on turn. River he checks again and I fire again. I'm pretty sure I should have let the hand go on the river, but I find it difficult to give up in spots like this. Perhaps the third diamond should have stopped me trying to steal as well.

Anyway I'm more interested in general position plays in this situation than a hand evaluation, though feel free to confim how much i sucked...

Villain turned over pocket 8's. Which kinda sucked as I would have preferred to loose to a flush or a hand like JJ+ rather than second pair!

;(
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

PF: Standard

F: Don't like floating such weak overcards here, especially when there's no backdoor flush draw. I either fold or raise here. Against players who don't fight back too often, I just prefer taking raising lines on the Flop.

T: I don't mind firing the Turn to rep 68 and flushes (after raising the flop). But you'll need him to be the type of guy to fold AA without a diamond here. If not there's really no point in barreling this turn card. I would give up on most rivers though.

----------

As played

I would just pot the Turn and pot the River (or overbet the River to 1.5X the pot). Unless he's some herocaller paranoid guy, I think this play would work almost always (we believe he is capped on the Turn after he takes the c/c line).

I think you have to bet really big both on Turn and River to rep the flush. Now that we got caught, we simply need to adjust. Stop bluffing 2 streets like that into him (or bet even bigger).
    • Crox1710
      Crox1710
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      Stop bluffing 2 streets like that into him (or bet even bigger).
      yes exactly. A big weakness in my game is attempting a complicated play like this. I think that he has a pocket pair at best and that on a board like this I can use position to bully a hand like QQ+. I get it into my head that what I actually hold is irrelevant as my position negates the villains probable mediocre hand.
      Problem is that either I don't bluff well enough, or villain calls as he thinks an overpair is good. Turning over 88 then makes me think that I should just ditch plays like this and fold the flop.
      In all I think either giving up on the river, or as you say raising the flop then giving up if we get to the turn is the simpler, better play.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      im not sure if you misinterpreted what i said.

While I dislike your flop float with a hand as weak as KT, I think that once you get here you should bet twice. but i think you should just pot t and r to rep the flush or even overbet.

Then once you get caught, you write a note on this guy and make the adjustment.