[NL2-NL10] Nl5

• SunWukung
      SunWukung
      Bronze
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (8 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($10.92)
      UTG+1 ($10.88)
      MP1 ($2.76)
      Hero ($4.41)
      CO ($2.76)
      Button ($14.17)
      SB ($5.28)
      BB ($4.11)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J:diamond: , A:diamond: .
      1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.05, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.25, 4 folds, UTG+1 calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.57) A:spade: , 5:heart: , Q:club: (2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $0.35, UTG+1 calls $0.35.

Turn: ($1.27) Q:spade: (2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1.27) T:diamond: (2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $0.7, UTG+1 calls $0.70.

Final Pot: $2.67

Well I guess I made a mistake here by not betting the turn. I think the correct way to play this was bet turn and then check river.

But I have another questions: What are the right bet sizes here? And if he raised river (after my turn bet) should I call or fold?

I'm just starting with BSS.
  • 2 replies
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Your betsize (ca. 60 % of pot) is fine on a drawless board
      A second bet on the turn and a checkbehind on the river are indeed desirable with your TPGK for protection against draws and floats on the turn and pot control on the river.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi SunWukung,
      welcome to the BSS section.

On NL 5 level I´d always go value with my tpgk. No reason to believe that I´m beaten, until player would act differently then just c/c all the way.
      Bet sizes depends on what you want to accomplish:
      - if you bet 1/2 pot or less then players would call often with any kind of draw or even overcards.
      - if you bet pot, they tend to be folding everything than tp, but it also depends on the player style- some weak opponent might call down three large bets with any pair.
      - usually bet sizes should be around 60-90% of the potsize. I wouldn´t suggest betting less even with nuts, rather check/call for bluff induce.
      Imo there is only one case, where you should bet less than 60%- if player is shortstack and he is passive, then betting half pots would put him all-in on the turn/river then you don´t have to protect always your hand, but think how to get his money all-in.
      Also I´ve noticed that if you bet pot on 3-suited board then you have very high fold equity- doesn´t matter if you have flushdraw or not, since players often put you on nuts and would fold even tp.
      So with your hand I´d go bet 0,4$ on the flop, 2/3 on the turn and 2/3 on the river. Player would call you often down with weaker ace. Against re-raise you can fold.