how do deal with lucky fish?

• thevegan13
      thevegan13
      Basic
      hello all.

I started playing poker 3months ago. I guess, I was very lucky
      to make near $4000 in less than 2months.
      started to play only more expensive tournaments($35 and more buy- in) and needless to say, my whole bankroll was gone atfer 2 weeks. lost most of it on one 16 hour sitting on tilt.
      now I cant play micro anymore, there are just too
      many people that call just anything. had 3 bad beats
      yesterday with straight, he calls with 2pair and finds
      fullhouse on river. this sort of bad calls turn good
      I have problems too deal with.
      on $1 bb I often walked away with $50 profit.
      on 6 cent bb I cant win.
      do I need to change my game totally for these tables?
      any advise?
  • 21 replies
    • carrapa
      carrapa
      Bronze
      If you can't play micros profitably, you can't be a winner on low+ stakes..
    • thevegan13
      thevegan13
      Basic
      I won $892 in tournament after just 2 days.
      have only started playing micro about 2 weeks ago.
      on those tables it fells a lot like bingo. I didnt play
      that sort of poker before.
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      It looks like you were the lucky fish and then just reality kicked in.
    • carrapa
      carrapa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TiciBoy
      It looks like you were the lucky fish and then just reality kicked in.
      This.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey thevegan13 :)

As you said yourself you were very lucky but still its a good achievement to make $4000 even if you were lucky. If you can't play micros anymore then you will have to just save up a lot of money to deposit so you are rolled to play higher. But the chances of you going broke again will be high because you won't have picked up the skills needed to beat these limits on the way up.

The fact that you lost it all within 2 weeks goes to show that you just weren't ready for this kind of play so imo you need to start at the micros and follow some strict bankroll management rules.

At the micros you will get players that call with all sorts of hands make bad calls and get lucky but you should smile and keep playing because these are the players who will donate so much money to you. Every time a fish sucks out on you, you should feel good that you got your money in good and because you know that tomorrow the fish will likely be back again because he thinks he's solid.

Read some of the basic articles on our site and there are a few basic videos available for you to watch too so you can start fresh from the beginning and learn all the basic skills on your way back up to 100NL+

Good luck
      Carl
    • thevegan13
      thevegan13
      Basic
      thank you carl.

will stay on micros and follow bankroll management advise
      from this site. I dont want to keep having to deposit.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Sure :) maybe we will see you around the forums a lot more then? It will probably take a long time to get back up to 100NL but all that time you will be learning and improving so its well worth it. Have you thought about playing on a tracked account so you can earn Strategy Points and unlock loads of new educational material?
    • thevegan13
      thevegan13
      Basic
      where do I find these tracked accounts?
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      A tracked account means that when you sign up to a poker room you use the PokerStrategy.com marketing codes and everytime you pay the room some rake PokerStrategy.com gets a % of that rake as a kind of fee for sending you to that poker room, which we then spend on trying to give you the best material we can things like coaches, videos, hand judges etc.

I see you just signed up with us did you take the quiz? If you did you are entitled to one of our free money offers, if you didn't take the quiz Click Here If you already passed Take a Look At This Page to see which free money offers are available to you

There are also free money offers available to you without you taking the quiz that you can see On this page

As well as these we also have a large number of rooms we are partners with that you can choose to deposit on to become tracked Take a look here

Just remember that it must be your first account on which ever room you choose to take some free money at or deposit at and to follow the instructions carefully so you enter the right codes and get tracked properly.

If there's anything you don't understand let me know and i can explain it a little more you :)
    • LedZayats
      LedZayats
      Bronze
      I'm a microlimits cash player (nl2, nl5), and there have been countless times when I thought both that I had learned to beat the limits (after an upswing) and that they were unbeatable (after a downstreak). And whatever I say considers cash, not tourneys, because I hate playing them. The truth is, even though you may be playing "correct" (basically playing ABC poker at microlimits can be considered correct) and at some small profit or breaking even, that doesn't mean you're playing optimally. If you're put off by big swings, you should play carefully (but not passively) and avoid big risk spots, because at micros there will be a lot of hugely profitable spots where you are a solid favorite, and if you want less risk you can easily play very tight in marginal spots and still have a healthy profit. Personally, I think conventional ABC poker is less effective at microstakes and not the optimal way of playing (unless you are a robotic 20+ multitabler) because your main source of income should be fish who don't know the basics and will both pay off unreasonably big value bets and make lots of unreasonable bluffs which can be very easy to induce. And a lot of people do call with anything preflop, so it's hard to define their range then, but postflop most of them display easily readable tendencies which reveal the strength of their hand, so you're never "driving blind" if you pay close attention.
    • pucilpet
      pucilpet
      Bronze
      Take a couple of deep breaths and move on.

That's how I deal with bad beats. It doesn't always work, though but worth a try... :f_cry:
    • thevegan13
      thevegan13
      Basic
      I signed alreadt up to a pokerroom through this site.
      didnt enter code though. can I still do it afterwards?
      did pass the quiz on saturday, when will I get the money?
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey again,

If you didnt enter the codes then unfortunately you won't be tracked and therefore won't receive the free money. If you contact our support team by Clicking here they might be able to sort you out with another poker room.
    • thevegan13
      thevegan13
      Basic
      I hate micros, because its too much like bingo,
      but made 20% of my current bankroll today
      on micro(full $3 lol).
      I love tournaments. I used to play 20 a day.
      cant afford it anymore though.
      working my self up again very slowly now.
      Hopefully I learnt from my mistakes.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      I hate micros, because its too much like bingo,
      Think of it this way: the micros are great because it is so much like bingo! The more fish, the higher your winrate can be if you play correctly against them!

Believe me, you want the bad players to be at your table! They're the ones that are going to just hand them your money. Though it doesn't make you tons of money, you can get very solid win rates much more easily in the micros than in the higher stakes.

So don't hate on the bad players who are simply clicking colored buttons, embrace them! (Obvously not literally, that would be awkward :p)

I love tournaments. I used to play 20 a day.
      cant afford it anymore though.
      Not sure what BR you have now, but even with a $100 bankroll you can play some tournaments. If you follow a 200 average BI BRM for tournaments (which is honestly pretty aggressive, but at least a lot better than the 100 BI suggested in the articles here), you can play some $0.50 MT SNGs on stars for example, and I'm sure some other sites will have similar tournaments as well. Lots of terrible players, so they're very profitable as well.

It's just a suggestion in case you prefer playing MTTs over cash games and have at least some sort of BR and can apply at least a 200 average BI BRM, it's definitely a possibility :)
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Thanks TinoLaan :)

It's true we need to send some love to the bingo players surely you would rather sit on a table full of fish than a table full of decent or even half decent regs. You will find people at micros to bluff against and who will fold you just need to carefully pick your spots. Take LOTS of notes and i mean lots and lots this will be a huge key in beating micros you will see a lot of people multitabling playing robot style who and just some plain bad regs who are very exploitable take lots of notes and you will be laughing :)
    • thevegan13
      thevegan13
      Basic
      one of those bingo players just kicked me out of
      a $10000 freeroll. went all-in with AA he called
      9 6 same suit and hit flush.

I went on different pokerroom with promocode
      this time. I cant get their free bonus, if I want
      to have a tracker account,right?
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      :facepalm: 96 :f_confused: but again you should be generally happy that you got the money in good. Its a lot harder to be happy in a tournament when you get eliminated like that i know but chin up.

Sure you still get the free bonus :) let me give you an example take a look on this page: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/free-poker/ and lets say you choose the $7.70 at PKR so we click that one and it takes us to the sign up instructions. First check your country is in the list of available countries then just follow all the steps carefully and you will get $10 plus your account will be tracked.

The free 7.70 at poker770 is slightly different because at the moment we offer a free $10 there for passing the quiz and you can't get both it's either the $10 for passing the quiz or if you get your quiz money at one of our other rooms you can take the $7.70 but not both, again just follow the instructions carefully so you enter the codes in the right place and you will get a tracked account and free $$

:)
    • thevegan13
      thevegan13
      Basic
      I had already signed up at pkr.
      I have been told to sign up with promo code
      at poker770. can I still change now?
      cant play there, getting disconnected
      constantly. tried now 5 times.
      thank you so far, you have been really helpful.