[NL2-NL10] 88 Nl4 Sh

• acetbfish
      acetbfish
      Bronze
      The villain is palying with stats 17/11/0 in only 60 hands.

On Game No-Limit Hold'em, $0.04 BB (6 handed) - On Game Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

MP ($3.76)
      Hero (CO) ($5.21)
      Button ($4.03)
      SB ($9.63)
      BB ($3.81)
      UTG ($4.40)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8, 8
      2 folds, Hero bets $0.12, Button calls $0.12, SB calls $0.10, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.40) A, 2, 3 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.26, Button calls $0.26, 1 fold

Turn: ($0.92) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, Button raises $1.20, Hero folds

Total pot: $1.72

Is my cbet and turn bet fine? Can I ever call his raise?
  • 8 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi

I dont get why u are betting flop and turn. We have nothing. Turn bet is exceptionally bad as the other guy almost always has an ace and even if he had TT he may not necessarily fold
    • acetbfish
      acetbfish
      Bronze
      Could you please tell me what's the difference between this hand and this hand ? I understand why the turn bet is bad but could you tell me why the cbet is also bad? I thought that I could actually take some value from some worst hands on the flop and that's why I cbeted (the sb was a bit fishy).
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi. Flop bet could be okay... but as someone who plays a more "balanced" style i usually advocate being more selective with cbetting spots esp in 3way. I think a cbet here could be beter than tt in the kxx hand. Ace high flops get more credit and also i think tt beats more midpairs than 88 (which favours passivity instead of betting and turning ir hand into a bluff)

Assuming we dont want to bluff flop all the time, mid pairs are the best for checking and hopong to get to showdown.

"Sometimes we can get value from worse"

Try naming me some hands ;)
    • Saren113
      Saren113
      Bronze
      No one is balanced at NL 4!

I would cb smaller otf as we are in a multiway pot, as mbml said I would also check behind. Cross my fingers for no bet otr.
    • acetbfish
      acetbfish
      Bronze
      Thank for the answers :) I guess the worse hands are only a small part of their range, so the cbet for value isn't really an option.
    • bobbywelsh
      bobbywelsh
      Bronze
      By my counting the pot is actually $2.52 is it not?
    • bobbywelsh
      bobbywelsh
      Bronze
      Also why can he not be repping the ace?
      Quite a timid turn bet $0.4 into $1.30? Maybe have worse but smelled weakness in the size of the tb?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      @saren: yes you are right no one is balanced but still, it doesn't mean we must fight for every pot. I still think checking 88 is slightly better, but as your pocket pair gets lower (or if the board gets even drier, like A22r), betting becomes more favourable. As you increase in showdown value (when your pocket pair increase to 99, TT, JJ, QQ, KK), the more checking becomes better.

@bobbwelsh: The 1.20 doesn't go into the pot since the raise wasn't called. 92c + 40c + 40c = 1.72. That's how it works here. When you make a raise, you first call your opponent's bet, followed by the raise.

So if you want to count a pot-size raise for example,
      Player A raises to 30 cents preflop. Player B wants to reraise pot-size. The blinds are 5c/10c.

Player B first has to call the 30 cents. Now the pot has 30c+30c+5c+10c=75c. Now we make a potsize raise of 75c. So a pot size raise = 75c+30c = 1.05

Not exactly the same situation, but I hope it helps you understand how the pot calculation works.