[NL2-NL10] NL10 sh. JJ, good fold river?

• Crox1710
      Crox1710
      Bronze
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

SB ($15.14)
      BB ($10.15)
      UTG ($10.60)
      MP ($10.59)
      Hero (CO) ($10.64)
      Button ($7.85)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J, J
      UTG bets $0.20, MP calls $0.20, Hero raises to $1, 4 folds, MP calls $0.80

Flop: ($2.35) 7, 6, 8 (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero bets $1.50, MP calls $1.50

Turn: ($5.35) 9 (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero checks

River: ($5.35) 5 (2 players)
      MP bets $8.09 (All-In), Hero folds

Total pot: $5.35 | Rake: $0.24

Don't have any reads on villain that makes me think he stacks a massive bluff here.

Pre flop, I just think that the min raise and call shows weak hands so feel happy with my 3 bet. Flop is wet so want to take it down there and then. Turn is horrible so shut down. Feel reasonably happy about river fold as I put him on making his straight on turn with a hand like K10s+.
  • 4 replies
    • nokifpp
      nokifpp
      Bronze
      I would 3-bet lighter here but your sizing seems fine. I like the 2/3 pot bet on the flop to protect against flush draw. He calls so makes me think he either has the straight already and decides to slowplay it or he is still on a draw.
      Turn brings 9 which hits the board pretty hard and makes your hand really weak. As he checks I think he might be slowplaying here. I like your check. River is really nasty and i think the fold is correct given that you do not have any reads on him.
    • Crox1710
      Crox1710
      Bronze
      Wait, are you saying I played the hand correctly???

:f_cool:

One more stupid question, when you say "I would 3 bet lighter here" does lighter refer to size of bet or range? I'm assuming the former but I've heard it used in both contexts.

Edit: I now realise any credit I take from my incredible show of skill in the hand has been ruined by the above question.
    • nokifpp
      nokifpp
      Bronze
      Yes, against unknown I think this is the correct way to play it.
      I was refeering to bet sizing, my personal opinion is that three times the bet + 1 BB for every person that calls is enough. If he has better hand on the flop which i doubt you are loosing money on the long run, he will either continue with better hand or fold his trash if you bet more.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Crox,

Preflop: Considering there was a min raise and a caller I like our 3-bet here.

Flop: Cbet and size are both fine.

Turn: It's an ugly card for us and we now lose to 55, TT and 99 so there aren't many worse hands we can get value from (just some FDs and we block the J).

River: Unfortunately we can't really call here. He can bluff missed FDs but he doesn't have many combos maybe AQcc, ATcc, KQcc.