Can you have a disent conversation about poker with noob

• VaceMk
      Hey guys

One of the things i struggle with is that i cant talk with my friends about poker.And its not that they are consered about me gambling they love poker but they are breaking even on zynga poker on facebook.I can divide my friends into two groups.

1.The guys who shove any Ax pre flop and just because they made some money on zynga or get into the money on some freeroll on PS they think that they understand poker better than anybody else.When they are wathcing me play,they cant wrap their mind around the idea that sometimes in holdem you have to fold a f***ing top pair but that aint even the worst part they are redy to fight for that statement and try to outargue me about some ridicoulis spot where its insta fold.
      2.The guys who will hear you out while you talk about ranges,variance and the mathematical aspekt of poker but then reply to you somthing like "Last night i had AA against KK and lost,what a sick hand !!!"

Can you actualy talk poker with noobs or our views for the game are so different that its immposible?
  • 2 replies
    • PhoenixPhreak
      It's honestly amazing how quickly learning a little bit about poker separates a player from those that know no specific strategy except what they learned from playing it for fun.

Luckily I don't have any friends that would argue why you should play AXo in a 4 bet pot, but I have plenty that really would have no idea why I'm talking about a range. They would probably think I'm talking about cooking or something...

I think the way you do approach it is by remembering where we were when we were first introduced to the game. We had to learn a first lesson long before how to play rivers out of position. Explain simple odds about JJ versus 67s. Keep it light and fun and hopefully you can bring a new player (who knows enough to enjoy playing more) to the game!
      Yeah, you have to remember we were all noobs once and I don't think there is no day where we don't learn something new!

Refer them to PokerStrategy = win for you + win for them!