MP: $6.85
      CO: $14.44
      Hero (BTN): $12.83
      SB: $3.24
      BB: $10.00
      UTG: $10.15

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has J:heart: A:club:

fold, MP calls $0.10, CO raises to $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, fold, fold, fold

Flop: ($1.25, 2 players) 7:diamond: 9:heart: 7:club:
      CO bets $0.90, Hero calls $0.90

Turn: ($3.05, 2 players) 5:spade:
      CO checks, Hero bets $1.90, fold

Hero wins $2.85

Villain is a 23/17 reg over 210 hands.

MP is a very loose fish playing 41/7 over 110 hands, so I expect CO to raise with a relatively wide range here to isolate on the fish. And because AJ is probably well ahead of this range and I have position, I decided to call.

On the flop I figured he wouldn't often have a whole lot. I think callingi AJ high here is rather standard against an aggressive player, because he probably doesn't have too many 9x hands here (maybe 98s, T9s and A9 or something, but probably not much more), he basically needs an overpair to continue on the turn.

If he has a strong hand, his bet on the turn will let me know. Otherwise I can pretty much take it down with a bet and make him fold his smaller pocket pairs and 7x type hands. He also may fold a stronger A here.

Good line/thought process?
  • 1 reply
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Preflop: Hmm Calling is fine I suppose, though the 5bb raise is kind of big. The main value here in playing in this spot is hoping that the fish comes along and spew some money later. I think you could even just use this as a 3b bluff (mostly due to the very huge bet size which makes 3betting more favourable than calling since there's more money in the pot to be won when we bluff).

Postflop: I think floating AJ high is fine. And turning it into a bluff on the Turn is fine. If villain's range was even wider, then the relative hand strength of AJ high would increase and then perhaps I would consider not turning it into a bluff.

A good example would be if this was in Blind vs Blind, where he raises pre and I flat with AJo. I would just be way more inclined to check it down (unless a coordinating card comes on the Turn, then perhaps I can represent straights and I might slightly prefer a bet).