SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has Q:diamond: A:spade:

Hero raises to $0.30, fold, fold, fold, SB calls $0.25, fold

Flop: ($0.70, 2 players) 6:heart: 2:diamond: T:club:
      SB bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.50, 2 players) 5:spade:
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.08, SB raises to $3.00, fold

SB wins $3.42

Villain is a reg, playing 20/17 over 440 hands.

On the flop his donk didn't make much sense. If he had a set or overpair he would probably go for a check/raise or check/call, and would probably check/call if he had a top pair or something. If he has worse I guess he could donk, in which case he would likely shut down on the turn, allowing me to take the pot down with a bet. So I called against his presumably weak range.

And he indeed checked, so I bet, and he went for a check/raise. It just doesn't make any sense to me at all. It felt extremely bluffy, but decided to fold it anyway because I wasn't sure at all. And I still have no idea what he could have had here. I'm just clueless as to what kind of hand he would do this with.

Thoughts?
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Tino,

Preflop: looks good.

Flop: Calling his donk is fine, sometimes regs donk small pairs or overs here. We could also raise/fold.

Turn: Despite his line looking bluffy I would still fold because at 10nl most villains don't bluff enough for us to be profitable bluffcatching A high. And you will find them play like this for value too much even though it may not make sense.

Question for you: how would you play Tx, JJ and AA here?
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      I woud probably play them all the same way.

Flop: Call the donk, because raising would turn our hand into a bluff.

Turn: Check behind for pot control/showdown value and to bluff induce on the river.

River: Call if he bets, value bet if he checks (and fold to a check/raise). I might fold here if the board runs out absolutely terrible.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Tx and JJ could be played the same but AA is closer because villain could be taking this line with JJ/QQ some KK/AA slowplayed preflop.

I also would bet/fold turn rather than check back for pot control. The only time I'd check back is to induce another bluff from villain on the river.