[NL2-NL10] NL5 Speed AA

• cheekopeh
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $1.96 (39.2 bb)
      UTG: $5.02 (100.4 bb)
      Hero (MP): $6.46 (129.2 bb)
      CO: $15.43 (308.6 bb)
      BTN: $2.66 (53.2 bb)
      SB: $3.75 (75 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A A
      UTG raises to $0.20, Hero raises to $0.55, 4 folds, UTG calls $0.35

Flop: ($1.17) 3 Q Q (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.17) 5 (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60

River: ($2.37) 3 (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $1.20, UTG calls $1.20

$4.77 pot ($0.23 rake)
      Final Board: 3 Q Q 5 3
      UTG showed J J and lost (-$2.35 net)
      Hero mucked A A and won $4.54 ($2.19 net)

Villain is 27/22 over 41 hands.

I thought I played it pretty badly. This was my thought process.

PF: When he calls my 3-bet, I put him on JJ+, AQs+, AKo

Flop: On this flop, he crushes us w his AQ, and will call us once or twice with JJ. Thus I checked to feign weakness to get more value out of further streets. I did not even thought about KK I don't know why :f_mad:

Turn: He bets half pot and I decided to call to raise/fold his River bet.

River: When he checks, I'm confident I have him beat and pretty much only JJ/KK will call so I made a half pot bet.

After reviewing this hand, I thought I could get so much more value betting myself. Firstly AK & AQ is such a rare hand for him because I have 2 Aces myself. So he's most likely holding a PP. I could dictate the bet sizes and go for 2 streets of 2/3 to PSB.

Secondly, I should have raised his 1/2 pot turn bet for value from JJ+. And fire a 1/2 pot thereabouts on river.

Thirdly, by giving up the initiative on the flop and just calling his turn bet, I'm at a loss and gonna play a guessing game on the river if he fires again. What do you think coach?
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      Hi Cheekopeh,

Preflop: 3-bet is fine but size is a bit small. I'd make it 3x here.

Flop: Check is fine for the reasons you mentioned but he is unknown so we really don't know how he reacts. Because of that betting yourself is usually much better

Turn: Calling is fine.

River: We can even bet bigger here because our line looks so weak and he may think we are bluffing river. I'd bet at least 1.9