BB: 56.4 BB
      UTG: 40.4 BB
      UTG+1: 226.6 BB
      UTG+2: 100 BB
      MP: 156.8 BB
      MP+1: 159.4 BB

Hero posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has 5:heart: A:heart:

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, CO raises to 2.4 BB, fold, Hero raises to 7 BB, fold, CO calls 4.6 BB

Flop: (15 BB, 2 players) T:heart: 4:heart: 4:spade:
      Hero bets 12 BB, CO raises to 24 BB, Hero?

3bet resteal from the button and villain flat calls. I cbet with the nut flush and get min raised. Hero calls time and then goes and cries on the HE forum. :f_cry:

Is it useless to try and resteal against a half stack? What's the best way to respond to the min raise on the flop?
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      Hi Tokyoaces,

Preflop: I don't like this 3-bet versus a short, potentially fishy guy. We are bluffing a fish which is not ideal.

Flop: As played, considering his stack size I'd go with the hand. We have ~50% equity versus any PP type hand.
    • Tomaloc

Originally posted by tokyoaces
      Is it useless to try and resteal against a half stack?
      of course not :f_biggrin:

you should always keep opponent type in mind and give extra thought to bet sizing though.

i think that sizing is fine, but even on this small sample i think that this is most likely a fishy player. fish don't like to fold -> be more depolarized when 3betting.
      i don't really like 3betting this oop against someone who doesn't like to fold, but since we don't know much about him we may be wrong (ie, he may be nitfish or actually a regular) and it can't really ever be super wrong either.

i'd stick to a high card heavy range though, where we can just go for stacks when we hit a pair.

Originally posted by tokyoaces
      What's the best way to respond to the min raise on the flop?
      before we get to that, your cbet sizing is big, as in REALLY REALLY big.
      villain is halfstacked, it's a 3bet pot and the board is really dry, except for the FD.

i feel that you want to maximize your fold equity, but i don't think betting that big is worth it.
      we give ourselves too bad a price, and i think that his continuing range on this board isn't really very sensitive to bet sizing (aka inelastic).

highest i'd go would be 10bb, when we can ship the turn for an amount close to his stack.

as played...

after he minraises he is really likely to have a better hand and to be never folding.
      he probably wouldn't raise TT or 44 (he would just call down and ship the river), and he'd probably just directly ship his flushdraws instead of minraising.

that said, you are at least odds commited to calling.
      you can just ship, but since we are really likely to have the worst hand i'd go with call/call (we have no fold equity and we'll still be commited against a turn ship).
      if we river our draw or an ace i'd donk shove.
    • Th334
      Cheer up, we all lose from time to time :)

Maybe try to re-steal against CO (and shortstack) a bit tighter? I mean, A5s is not that great. I wouldn't re-steal CO with A5s without at the very least a 100 hands.

Flop is a snap call, what's the problem? ?( I think you are familiar with odds and outs :)