[NL2-NL10] NL5 KK on a very wet board

• elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $6.07 (121.4 bb)
      UTG: $1.70 (34 bb)
      MP: $2.01 (40.2 bb)
      CO: $5.55 (111 bb)
      BTN: $6.99 (139.8 bb)
      Hero (SB): $4.81 (96.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K K
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.17, BTN folds, Hero raises to $0.35, BB folds, CO calls $0.18

Flop: ($0.75) A 8 Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.37, CO calls $0.37

Turn: ($1.49) 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($1.49) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.74, CO raises to $4.83 and is all-in, Hero calls $3.35

Results:
      $9.67 pot ($0.48 rake)
      Final Board: A 8 Q 9 A
      CO showed T Q and lost (-$4.81 net)
      Hero mucked K K and won $9.19 ($4.38 net)

I had two situations like this today, one with the nut flash draw (this one) and one without.
      Only reason I am leading on the flop is the fact I have a 25% to hit the nuts. Plus I might be good if villain has a draw himself or no ace.

I feel his raise on the river does not fall in line with trip aces which he is representing.

Good play or bad play?

Also what do you do when u dont have the flush draw? Would you just give up?
  • 5 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Why do we 3bet so small preflop?
      I'd make it $0.55-$0.6 here.

I'd bet around $0.45 on the flop.

As played on the flop, what is your plan for the turn when you check? Are you going to give up if he bets?

On the river I prefer check/folding.
      There aren't really too many hands that would call us and when he shoves we have an easy fold.

Best,
      Plamen
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      Hi Plamen,

Thank you for your input.

Let me answer your questions with why I am calling on the river and what was my plan on the turn. Feedback on whether my thinking makes sense is more than welcome.

I know he can raise wide from CO and he can also call a min raise pretty loose given the odds and position. (True my raise Oop was very small something I think its a leak in my game). Nevertheless he calls. If he has the ace knowing that I have the nut flash draw I am assuming he would be raising to protect his hand if he had it.

He calls my bet and checks the river which in my view how I saw it then was that

a) He is has a draw,
      b) He has an Ace
      c) He has a Q

On the river I bet small and he shoves 65BB. I felt he could have a busted flash, or a queen more often that overbetting so huge with a made flush or trip Aces.

It still seems logical to me. If I am missing something out that changes the thinking process please do tell me.

All the best,

Nicolas
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

A lot of your assumptions could be challenged.

1) try naming some busted draws. Most busted draws (Jd) have a pair to go with them lik JdQc.
      2) qx doesnt always call flop without a diamond. Especially if u are a conservative cbetter.
      3) i think there could be more ax than qx hands on the river despite the board pairing.
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      Yes I see your point,

Thanks for the info.

Nick
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      I feel his raise on the river does not fall in line with trip aces which he is representing.

...and I decided to call him with my middle pair :)

To be honest, I think that your river call is less like maximizing your EV and earning money, but more like the sheriff's syndrome :)

The biggest assumption that you made (and I wouldn't), is that the villain is a complete idiot. Just don't make these assumptions, because most of the time he won't be (and even if he is an idiot, who told you that idiots don't win showdowns in poker?)